15. A New Leaf

I woke to a bright white light that stung my eyes, like I was staring into the blazing sun on a hot summer day. Shielding my sensitive eyes with my hand, I saw the light poking through the spaces between my five fingers and a huge grin spread across my face.

I did it, I thought. I really did it!

Giggling to myself, I sat up in the hospital bed and began to look over the rest of my newly-returned body. I gazed down at my dull, cracked fingernails and ran my fingers through my tangled auburn hair. Clearly, I wasn't at my best, but that didn't matter because I had my body back; it was mine and very, very human. I'd nearly forgotten how smooth and soft human skin could be.

As I ran my fingers down my right arm, I saw the dark pink scar that marked my right wrist, an old wound from the wolf trap. I knew I had many more scars on my body because the wolves' claws had cut deep, and their teeth even deeper, but that didn't bother me so much. I was glad to have the scars because they reminded me of all that I'd gone through. Most of all, they reminded me that I'd survived.

I smiled. I couldn't have done it without him: Kiba ... My eyes passed over to the vacant chair that stood beside the window. To my eyes, it seemed a little crooked, like it had been moved around, but perhaps that was just my imagination getting the best of me. Still, I wondered if he had visited me, if anybody had visited me, if Yuzu and Youji or my parents had. In my heart, I really wished that Mother had come to see me at least once, but I knew better than to get my hopes up.

But someone must have visited me because there was a small vase of bright, beautiful flowers sitting beside my bed. I grabbed the vase with both hands and brought it to my nose, inhaling their sweet, floral scent, and then I let my fingertips brush against the petals, savoring the feeling of the velvety petals against my skin. They were from Yamanaka Flowers, that much was obvious, but the sender remained a mystery until I saw the tiny card tucked away inside the vase.

Get well, soon, Ikuko! We're all praying for a fast recovery!

~ Rock Lee

"Of course," I said, grinning. "He's really too nice for his own good."

I had just finished setting the flowers back down when the door opened and Shizune walked into the room. "Ah, you're finally awake," she said with a smile on her face.

I nodded my head. "How long have I been asleep?"

"A couple days," she answered. "You were in pretty rough shape when you got here, but you recovered quickly. I was surprised."

"I see ... Thank you for taking care of me."

"Oh, no need to thank me. I hardly did anything." Then she turned towards the doorway. "Isn't that right?"

Into the room walked someone I was not expecting to see. After all the horrible things I'd done to her, all the horrible things I'd said, she was the very last person I ever expected to help me. And yet, there she was, the girl with the obnoxious pink hair and unnaturally wide forehead, Sakura Haruno. But she looked so professional today, so confident. I had almost forgotten about her talents as a medical-nin. Yes, she had certainly come a long way since her Academy days.

And what had I accomplished?

"How are you feeling?" she asked, smiling warmly at me. Her eyes carried this friendly glimmer that expressed a sincere willingness to forget our past and move forward.

Surprised by her compassion, I felt my cheeks begin to flush. "F-Fine! I feel fine, thank you."

"Good, I'm glad. You had everyone pretty worried for a while."