3. Beware the Bushy Eyebrows

"Wow, he's so amazing."

"Just look at him. Have you ever seen anything so perfect?"

Nestled safely in our spying tree, Yuzu and I had the perfect view of Neji's training session. Although we'd watched him many times before, he never failed to amaze us. His movements were so fluid, like a dance. That boy could move his body in ways I never thought possible.

In the three passing years, Neji had matured into such a strong, handsome ninja. And his eyes ... Oh, his eyes were the most beautiful eyes I'd ever seen, white like the moon in the night sky. We'd only spoken once, but it was the single greatest moment of my life — even though he'd scolded me for not taking my mission seriously. His voice was more beautiful than any song.

"Oh, Neji-kun ..." I sighed, leaning against the tree trunk.

Suddenly, my perfect view was obstructed by a most horrifying sight: two dark, bushy eyebrows, like a pair of fuzzy black caterpillars.

"Ikuko-san!"

"Yaaaaaah!" I lurched back and smacked into Yuzu, who then lost her balance, and we both crashed to the ground. Yuzu hit the dirt first, and I fell on top of her. Dark green leaves showered over us both like rain.

Lee was at my side in an instant, offering his hand to me. "I'm so sorry, Ikuko-san. Please, forgive me!"

I took his hand, letting him pull me up from the ground; then I helped Yuzu up, who was still a little shaken. I smiled down at her and brushed the leaves off her clothes. "Sorry, Yuzu."

She smiled back, rubbing her head. "It's okay."

Meanwhile, Lee was still standing in front of us, staring at us with his big, creepy eyes. "What were you doing up in a tree?" he eventually asked, confused.

We both froze, exchanging panicked glances as Lee's eyes started to become clouded with suspicion. I couldn't let him find out we were spying on Neji. What if he told him? How embarrassing!

"I know what you two were doing," he said, a smirk forming. Yuzu grasped my shoulder as we watched his mouth twitch, beginning to form those criminalizing words. "You guys were ... training, weren't you?"

"Ehhhh?" I nearly fell over, but I quickly recovered. "Yes! Yes, that's exactly what we were doing, weren't we, Yuzu?"

Yuzu just stared at Lee with a blank expression, so I gave her a shake to get her started. "Y-Y-Yeah, that's it!"

"Of course!" Lee exclaimed, taking my hands in his. "Oh, Ikuko-san, you're such an amazing kunoichi — beautiful, smart, and talented!" As he spoke, his eyes passed down my pale blue kimono blouse to my black shorts and fishnet tights, and a blush quickly spread across his cheeks.

Although I wished the compliments were coming from Neji's mouth, I appreciated them nonetheless. He might not have been the most attractive ninja in the village — not by a long shot — but he definitely knew the way to a woman's heart.

Just then, as if Fate had intervened, I heard Neji's deep, melodic voice as he approached us. I just about fainted from the sight of him. So close. I could almost touch him. 

"Lee, we're supposed to meet Tenten," he said.

"Right. I almost forgot."

Slowly, Neji's eyes flickered down to Lee's hands, which were still entangled with mine. I quickly pulled my hands away and smiled admirably at him. "Hello, Neji-kun."

He gave me a brief, uninterested glance before turning and leaving. He might as well have stabbed me in the chest.

"Goodbye, Ikuko-san!" Lee called over his shoulder as he ran after Neji.