Chapter 6

With her new and exciting present, the rest of the week passed surprisingly quickly for Mandy (which it almost never did). The routine was simple--wake up, attend school, rush home and finish homework, and use her Time Precedent. It had become a daily routine, one her mother had not even picked up on yet, and Mandy didn't exactly want her to either.

The last few days of school had been easier knowing she had her friends and happiness in a small device at home. As soon as the last bell rang, she'd spring from class towards the bus, often being the first one to sit down. From there, she'd run through the snow towards her home after the bus dropped her off and got busy.

Schoolwork, however, had been increasing. It might've been the beginning of a new semester, but her teachers expected more from her after only a two week break, and so they hadn't been too kind in distribution of homework. In fact, she already had two tests planned the following Monday.

But Mandy was too excited to even let her mind drift towards schoolwork. As soon as she wandered home Friday afternoon, barely avoiding a conversation with Iris, who wanted to ask her some homework questions, she presumed, she trotted happily down the sidewalk, glad to have the weekend ahead of her. Now, she'd have even more time to use her Time Precedent and could stay hours.

Deciding not to do any homework on Friday evening, Mandy stepped into the she and threw off her coat, making her way up the stairs. Her mom was sitting in the office downstairs on the computer, barely hearing Mandy's entrance.

As Mandy rushed up the steps, however, her mother raised her head and looked up.

"Oh, Mandy, you're back!"

"Yeah, Mom!" Mandy called, quickly processing up the steps. Why couldn't she just leave her alone?

"Long day?"

Mandy paused, just wanting to be left alone. Sighing, she turned around and faked a smile. "Not too bad. I'm going to my room now."

"Did you forget your father is picking you up in an hour?" she asked.

Mandy froze. How could she have forgotten? Weekends were mostly, if not always, spent with her father! She must not have gotten used to the new schedule after school had begun.

"Oh, um, I remembered. I'll go make sure I don't need to bring anything," Mandy called.

"All right. Be ready when he comes," her mother warned.

Mandy stomped angrily up to her room and shut the door. Now there was no way she could use the Time Precedent! It was too risky with her mother checking on her and her father arriving in a short period of time.

Sighing, Mandy kicked off her socks and mittens and collapsed on her bed, hoping Jessie and Abby and Dustin and the others would be okay with her not visiting them right away. The day prior she had spent with Abby at her house, and today, Mandy was hoping to go on a date with Dustin by walking around. Perhaps that would all have to wait.

Sighing in defeat, Mandy carefully placed the Time Precedent in a gray sports bag, carefully tracing her fingers over it. Also in it she placed the book she was currently reading and an extra pair of mittens since the ones she had at her dad's were old and worn.

Walking downstairs, Mandy crashed on the couch with her bag and turned on the T.V., though she didn't necessarily watch it. Her mind kept drifting to the Time Precedent and the memories inside. She wondered if perhaps she should keep it somewhere else besides the sports bag.

"Not attempting any homework?" her mother asked as she exited the office to head towards the kitchen.

Mandy let out a simple groan.