Chapter 4

Mandy stood, frozen in place like a deer in headlights. Her mother stared at Mandy oddly, turning back to the bacon that was sizzling in their old black pan that had been thrown out after the move.

            "Mandy, dear, are you okay?" her mother asked, sliding the bacon onto the white plate next to the white plate already containing steaming pancakes.

            "Mom, what's going on?" Mandy asked.

            Her mother calmly walked placed the plate on the table, wiping her hands on her apron. "I don't know what you're talking about," she responded. "Eat up quickly. You're supposed to be at Jessie's in a half hour."

            Jessie?

            "But Mom, Jessie is--"

            "Hurry up and eat!" her mother ordered.

            Mandy shrugged and obeyed, wondering if perhaps this was just an odd dream she was having. She must've fallen asleep while doing homework and now was somehow dreaming that she was in the past?

            Mandy took a bite of the pancakes, knowing they were, in fact, real. They were also delicious, and she realized she had not had a bite of pancakes her mother made since they all lived in the house together.

            "Good morning, sweetie!"

            Mandy glanced up, recognizing the voice to be her father's.

            "Good morning," her mother replied, kissing him on the cheek.

            "Wait, what?" Mandy asked.

            "Oh, sorry, do you need a kiss too?" her father asked, bending down to kiss Mandy's head.

            "But-but you're divorced," Mandy argued.

            Her mother laughed. "No, we're not. We're married happily here."

            "Mom, where are my shoes?!"

            Mandy froze, watching as Xander came down the stairs. He too looked different, his hair swept across his face, his face looking younger. He looked like he was seventeen.

            "Xander!" Mandy shrieked.

            "Mandy!" he replied jokingly, reaching for a slice of bacon from Mandy's plate.

            "That's your sister's breakfast," her mother snapped. "And your shoes are by the door, where you always leave them."

            "Oh, right," Xander recalled, exiting the room. Mandy felt tears swelling in her eyes. In just a few moments, she had everything she wanted. Her parents were married, Xander was still himself. She never wanted to leave this place.

            Taking a bite of bacon, she tried to recall what had happened. The calculator machine had flashed, and she'd awoken here. Perhaps she had just fallen asleep while doing homework and had dreamt about the present too. Maybe it was still sitting on her wardrobe, containing nothing that special.

            Taking a gulp of orange juice, Mandy stood up, curious now about this extraordinary place.

            "Off to Jessie's then, I presume?" her mother asked, seeing Mandy had finished her breakfast.

            Mandy nodded eagerly, throwing her arms around her mom in glee.

            "Wow, you're very cheerful," she said, kissing Mandy's cheek. "I love you. Be safe."