Seven

"I just can't think of anything that could possibly work at this point." Dan said dejectedly to Jace, as they both walked down the street towards some coffee shop Jace had wanted to go to. Dan had just finished recounting everything that had happened yesterday between him and Phil.

  "Did you really think kissing him like that was a good idea?" Jace said, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his gray hoodie.

  "Well, it's not like he tried to stop me! And he kissed me back, that's gotta count for something."

  He could practically hear Jace roll his eyes.

  "You're such an idiot, Dan." He sighed. "Just because he said he still likes you, doesn't mean he wants you to go around throwing yourself on him like some hormonal teenager."

  "But I am a hormonal teenager." Dan replied, smirking slightly.

  "That's not the fucking point."

  Dan threw his hands up in frustration, and groaned. "I didn't know what else to do, alright? He was just there, and there were all kinds of emotions, I just lost it. It's not like I wanted to make him hate me anymore than he already does."

  "He told you he doesn't hate you, didn't he?" Jace said, and Dan nodded. "Well stop being such an ignorant bigot and think about him for a second. What he wants, and what he needs."

  "That's all I do, is think about him!" Dan exclaimed. "And that's the problem, I do it too much, and making me go crazy. I don't know what he wants anymore, I don't know him like I used to." He sighed. "He's changed, and it's all my fault."

  "No, it's you who's changed." Jace said. "You've just become this empty shell of a person, who's become dependent on other people. The only thing you care about now is Phil, and what he feels for you, and you get all depressed when he rejects. But the only reason he does, is because you keep acting on these feelings like some irrational dick."

  "What am I supposed to do then, Jace? Since you seemed to be so educated in the area of heartbreak. What the hell am I supposed to do to get him back, because nothing seems to be working."

  Jace stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, pulling Dan's arm so that he stopped beside him. "What you need to do is stop being so bold in the things you do." He said, staring at him intensely. "There's no way he's gotten over everything that you did to him, and trying to get into his pants everytime he looks at you isn't going to change that. Honestly, you're probably only hurting him more than he already is."

  "What do you mean?"

  "He's still in love with you, apparently. But he doesn't want to be, he shouldn't be. He's obviously so confused, because you keep coming onto him and trying to get him back, but he hasn't had any time to recover. And he still has feelings for you, which kind of sucks since he sort of doesn't like you. And then there's me, the person you cheated on him with, and you still talking to me and all that. He doesn't trust you."

  Dan didn't say anything right away, staring at his shoes. Jace was right, he was always right, apparently. Dan just needed to calm down, give Phil some time to get through whatever he was going through.

  "How do you know so much about all this?" Dan asked, looking up and seeing the flicker of sadness that passed through Jace's green eyes before it disappeared.

  "Experience." Was the only thing he said, and then he turned and kept walking. Dan followed, and they walked the rest of the way in thick silence.

  Soon enough, they reached the coffee shop, and hurried inside the somewhat small building filled with all kinds of loud noises and the heavy smell of coffee and sugar. It was actually kind of cozy, and Dan took an instant liking to it.