Chapter 12

Lukas was only allowed to watch from the elevator landing of the third floor where there was a large television mounted on one side of the wall. It wasn't his first time stepping foot into Melanie's workplace, but it was the first time he was there without her. She had gone six floors up to meet with Gregory Beaumont's opponent during the election, Kirk Van. They were holding a public press conference in an attempt to set aside their differences and work on creating change in the community, but the tension through the camera was too apparent. Lukas had only just begun following politics after meeting Melanie, but even with the little knowledge he had about policies and affairs, he knew the two men on screen couldn't even pretend to get along.

He watched the two opponents shake hands at the end of their conference. Gregory and his team made their way out first, and by the triumphant smile that appeared on Melanie's face, Lukas knew they had won somehow. Kirk followed, hiding behind his team and shying away from the camera while Melanie stopped to talk to a journalist.

The camera cut back to the news station, and a reporter began speaking. But Lukas wasn't listening because he was walking to Melanie's office. It had been left unlocked, so he entered on his own and sat down on the small couch in the corner. With Lukas' large frame and muscular build, he fit it almost perfectly, despite the fact that it was meant to fit two people.

"What are you doing here?"

Lukas instantly shot up at the sound of her voice. She didn't sound or look too happy. "I'm here to take you home."

"Home?" She scoffed in disbelief. "I have a job to do. I can't just leave whenever I feel like it."

"You don't look well," he said all too casually. "You look like you're supposed to be in bed resting."

"There's a lot to do today."

"Melanie, great work today," Gregory said from the entryway of her office. He was casually leaning against the doorframe, which led her to believe he hadn't just arrived. He must have followed her from the elevator. "I did say you're going home after the conference. So, lock up and let the man take you home."

She frowned. "But people will want to call—"

"And the rest of the team will answer their questions and concerns," Gregory finished. He pushed himself off the frame and offered her a smile. "Go home, Mel."

Melanie didn't want to go home

Melanie didn't want to go home. It was too quiet, and she couldn't turn the heat in her apartment up any higher than it already was. So, Lukas offered her the guest room in his house, but when she told him she preferred the comfort of his bed, he agreed to spend the night on the couch in his room to remain close. Their arrangement had made her happy, despite her headache and running nose.

Because he couldn't tell her no, she was in his bathroom, waiting for the tub to fill so she could soak in the hot water before heading to bed. Lukas held the back of his hand up to her forehead and clicked his tongue in dismay. She was burning up.