Chapter 4

"How we keep meeting like this is a mystery to me," Melanie said as she approached the door to her one bedroom apartment. She was unamused by the burden on her doorstep.

Eddy stood from where he had made himself comfortable on the floor and held up a bottle of wine. "I came straight after work. I was hoping we could talk."

"I'm actually very busy tonight." Once she unlocked the door, she stepped inside and tried to close it, but his hand stopped her. "Leave, Eddy, or I'm calling security to have you escorted out."

"I waited all night for you," he said, dragging a hand over his face. "I didn't come here to fight, so please, Mel. Just let me in."

"You are not welcomed in my home."

He blinked hard at her. Once upon a time, she couldn't tell him no. She always let him back in no matter how bad their arguments were. "I really fucking miss you. Can't I just be with the woman I love?"

"Maybe you could ask that woman in your office for some company."

"Mel, please," he practically begged her. "Let me in."

"She said you aren't welcomed," Lukas said, appearing behind Eddy. He brushed past him and made his way into Melanie's apartment, blocking her from Eddy. "You need to leave."

"Who the fuck is this?" Eddy asked, scoffing at the stranger.

"We're closing the door now," Lukas told him with a straight face. He took a step back and shut the door before twisting the lock into place. He turned to Melanie, crossing his bulky arms across his chest. "Nora said you were busy tonight. Who is this guy?"

She walked into her bedroom and began looking through the clothes in her walk in closet. She wasn't paying much mind to the man standing in her doorway. "I was handling it."

"I've seen my fair share of stalker ex-boyfriends. If you need me to take care of it, just say the word."

"I'm good, Teddy Bear," she assured him with a forced smile. "As you can see, I am perfectly fine."

He deeply sighed and then nodded his head to acknowledge her words. "I just had to see for myself, but this guy could show up at your doorstep again."

"This wasn't the first time," she murmured with the roll of her eyes.

He couldn't see her, but he could sense the irritation in her voice. "I'm not comfortable with that. Next time he comes back, you give me a call, alright?"

Melanie pulled up a burgundy skintight dress from the back of her closet and held it up in front of her, turning to Lukas to show him. "What do you think?"

"Mel, are you listening?"

"Next time he comes back, give you a call," she repeated with the roll of her eyes. "I'm a little busy here though, Teddy."

"You got a date tonight?" he asked teasingly.

"Not a date. It's more like an appointment."

Lukas hummed and shook his head in disapproval. "You're too good to be someone's appointment. Can I walk you out to your car?"

"If you don't mind waiting awhile," she said to him. "But I'm sure you have somewhere else you need to be."

"The bar?" He scoffed when she nodded her head. "I closed for the night. Something told me that you'd be needing my help."

She rolled her eyes but smiled anyway. Lukas was tender and possessed a kind heart. He was the overprotective brother she never thought she needed. "Then make yourself comfortable while I get ready to be someone's appointment."