Twilight Zone - Part 1

Part 1

"We interrupt your viewing pleasure to bring you an important announcement," said a cheerful broadcaster on every plasma screen on the ship. "This year's charity ball is to be held in our very own Nexus quadrant. On none other than..." He paused for dramatic effect. "Earth! Can you believe it? I'm so excited already and with an excellent line up of performers attending, it's sure to be the best one yet..." He continued to drone on listing performers from every corner of the known universe. Cullen turned the volume down in disgust.

Bold writing scrolled along the bottom of the screen in vibrant red script:

All personnel to attend this year's charity ball... No excuse will be accepted for your absence... Not even death, Commander Cullen.

 Changing channels didn't remove it. Star Fleet command had locked it to every transmission.

"You know how much I hate these things, Bella! Please turn us around. I don't care where you take us as long as it's not to Nexus," Cullen pleaded.

"Oh Edward really! You need to get out a little more, meet some new people," Bella chastised, unplugging the uplink cable from the back of her neck once the software upgrade completed then let her hair free from its restraining clip to cover it. "The crew need a little time to unwind. Most of them haven't been home in years. Besides, I'd like to go."

 "I don't think that's a good idea, you haven't been away from the ship since..." he struggled to remember a time when she had and came up blank, "We'd be out of range of your mainframe and anything could happen," he added instead.

She laughed at his feeble attempt to talk her into changing her mind, "Like what? I might actually have a bit of fun for once?"

Slamming his fist on the back of the door, he growled in frustration, his fangs extending. "Damn it Bella, I am commander of this vessel and I order you to turn around!"

 "No. I've made my decision, I'm going to the dance and nothing you say will sway me."

Taking a deep breath to calm himself, Edward strode to stand behind her at the window, the ships censors warned her of his close proximity. She turned from watching Niyan orbit its twin suns to face him and smiled as he sparkled as if dusted with diamonds when the suns rays met his skin. Sometimes she wondered if she was seeing the same things through her eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs. She thought perhaps that there was a glitch in her brain.

Raising her hand to his face, she cupped his cheek tenderly, his skin was icy cold. "I love how your skin shimmers in the sun." She moved her warm fingers to his lips to silence him as he opened his mouth to speak. "We are going," she whispered gazing longingly into his eyes.

"Fine," he relented, retreating out of her reach. His hands trembled with suppressed need to take her there and then; bury his fangs in the delicate white flesh at her neck while he drove her out of her mind with every thrust of his hips. Shaking himself from the lustful daydream, he made for the door, adjusting his suddenly tight trousers as he turned from her view. "Set course for the Nexus quadrant."

Linking her arm with his, she let him guide her to the bridge while her mind connected with mainframe to reset the co-ordinates. Much as she would like to refuse Edward, she had to follow his orders; she had no choice her programming would not permit insubordination. Once outside the bridge however, he quickly extracted himself and walked stiffly into the room talking his seat at the helm. Lieutenant Bennett smiled at Bella as she entered giving her the thumbs up.

"I saw that Lieutenant," Cullen snapped, "Please don't encourage her to disobey my orders."

"Yes Sir, of course not Sir. Our course is locked for Earth. We will be docking in exactly two hours and twenty-three minutes."