Chapter 18

That hit me. Honestly, nothing would completely wreck my life like losing Finnick would. He's my best friend, my paramour, he's always been there for me. Even when we were small. He comforts me when Alana becomes abusive and my thoughts become overbearing, I help him when he gets nightmares or flashbacks or thinks he's become someone he's not. We balance each other out. I couldn't bear to leave him.
Speaking of, Finnick was now on the couch reading my Spanish book my prep team had taken from me earlier.
"Hey, Finn?"
"Yes, Annie?" he replies without looking up.
"Can you take me back home? Where we belong?" I swallowed. "Back to the sea?"
He put his book down and looked up at me. His eyes appeared sad, but other than that his face showed no emotion.
"I will if it's the last thing I do," he told me, assurance painting his voice. I sat down on a wooden chair, letting the ruffles of my dress fizzle out onto the floor.
"Thank you," I replied, although I didn't feel much better. A dreadful feeling still loomed over me. I had a feeling it wasn't going to go away.
"Why are you thanking me? You would do the same for me. I love you and would do anything to keep you safe, okay?"
Tears welled up in my eyes. This couldn't be the end for us. I was about to say something, when the door swung open and there, interrupting my moment, stood my prep team, dressed in black spy costumes. They looked like dead, legless spiders that had somehow risen from the grave. Dark make up painted their faces, and they were armed with kitchen knives and hair pins.
I burst out laughing while Finnick slowly fell to the floor, unable to contain himself.
"I thought we looked cut-throat!" frowned Uridecee.
"We do!" Dime turned to us. "Laugh at us now, but you'll be thanking us when we bring back Darcy!" she yelled. The three left, slamming the door behind them. But I could barely hear it over our laughter.
I dropped to my knees, not being able to breathe. Their expressions. Their clothes. They looked like idiots. Pure, sweet idiots. But I loved them anyway. I loved them and how persistent they were, and how much effort they put into every little thing they did. They were stupid, but admirable.
Finnick was starting to calm down, but then he saw me and started up laughing again. Eventually, I laughed so hard I forgot what I was laughing at, so I stopped laughing. I caught my breath, it's difficult to take in air. Finnick calmed down a little after I did.
"They looked like they were going trick or treating," he snickered. He was also panting, I noticed. I laughed and nodded. Then I yawned, and realized how late it was.
"Well, I'm gonna go to bed," I smiled, standing up. "Today would've been a lot less fun without you. Thank you."
"Don't thank me, Annie. You deserve to be happy. You go get a head start, I'll be with you in a second," replied Finnick, getting up and pacing to the kitchen.
I walked to my room and locked myself in the bathroom. I took off everything: my make up, hair, ect, but decided to keep the dress on. I wanted to sleep in it, it was soft and warm and smelled a little like Darcy. I pulled off all my jewelry except for the gold seashell necklace that Finn had gave me. That would probably die before I took that off.
After cleaning myself off, I floated back over to my bed, feeling I had wings and could soar to anywhere I wanted to. I flopped on top of it. I listened to the fan spin round and round. A cool breeze snuck in through the small window, and I curled up in a ball. I was about to fall into a deep sleep, when something touched my side.