《Chapter 12》

One more step closer to freedom.

Mr. Grumpy was relieved to hear good news that day, the chance for some fresh air.

He had not heard about the garden in between the hospital and the facility where he endured his physical therapy on a day to day basis. It was refreshing to his senses, he was feeling much more elated in the morning as he sat and admired its beauty through the naturally clear lighting of the sun's rays. Of course, Mina was there with him, her unofficial job was to accompany him, even if her fussing right now was less than welcomed. As she ascended to her feet she tried to convince him to walk with her once around the garden.

"Come and smell the roses with me."

He grunted in reply, she sighed rather dramatically in dismay and turned to sit beside him still looking towards the eye-catching view that was spread before them. Starting from left to right, the landscaping was incredibly impeccable. He silently sent kudos to the hands that worked so hard to make this garden a great view for everyone.

"Look at all the flowers you haven't smelled in a while," Mina took the time to look out at the range of flowers that cast a rainbow of colors to the otherwise dull buildings. She waved her hand out to present their beauty and variety, waiting for him to concede.

He gave a small nod in affirmation, but kept his neutral face expression as usual, "More than just a while."

"Well stand up so you can smell them now," she held out a hand for him, the other on her hip in an inpatient stance. "The faster you agree, the faster I'll leave you alone."

He seemed to think on that proposition, still admiring the green of the landscape; he'd been wanting to take pictures to keep but settled on saving the mental image in his mind. "Just this once."

Assenting to her wish, he clasped her hand to aid him to lift himself from the bench. He stretched his limbs, as he was accustomed to doing now every time he stood up. As much as he was unwilling to say aloud, physical therapy had worked well on him and his extremities. His muscles felt lighter and his limbs flexed without pain. There was still soreness from every other session that was excruciating from time to time, but his body felt better than a few months ago. Walking was the task at hand now, with a cane no less; he hated the fact of having to use yet another tool to do something a toddler could do without assistance.

Bending at the waist to smell flowers was something he never imagined of doing here, nevermind with the tall brunette nagging him to do so. The aroma of roses at center stage and jasmine surrounding were the most distinct of them all. He knew very little about flowers, their names, and aromas, but these he could make out simply because his mother and sister loved the perfumes besides their beauty. The scent has that nostalgic familiarity with home and family that he missed. He was feeling that loneliness feeling again, every day that passes he longed for his home.

"Aw, what a cute little fountain."

At the mention, he cast eyes on what seemed to be a miniature waterfall fountain; it was a pretty sight in front of a bush of slender leaves. It's many flat stones stacked up in a formation of a wall bathing tiny pebbles where a pond should be, fenced in by rocks of various sizes to keep the pebbles arranged. Yet another mental image he'd like to keep.

"My favorite is the gardenias in the shrubs, they're what spring smells like to me, although the tulips over there are basically the logo sign of this season," Mina enthralled with a charming smile at the gardenias of white surrounded by the lovely evergreen leaves of the shrub.

A wispy breeze that made goosebumps appear on his arms had them both try to quicken their pace. He'd have to acquire a new layer of clothing for himself if he wanted to roam the garden in days to come. He would talk with his sister when she arrived later today, hopefully, she would be in a better mood than the last visit.