Chapter 12

Alexis' POV

*Beep* *Beep* *Beep*

I hear the heart monitor and slowly force my eyes open. I stare at the oxygen mask I had on as I breathe. It all came flooding back to me. I exhale deeply.

Keana.

I hear footsteps approach and I close my eyes. The smell of cinnamon and chocolate instantly fill my nose and I know it's him. A feel a little kiss on my temple. He takes my hand in his, the sparks shooting through me and kisses my knuckles.

“Oh Alexis... I know you can't hear me, I mean I would like you to, after everything that happened last night…” he let's out a nervous laugh.

Oh my peaches, what happened last night?!

“Please be okay Alexis” he whispers. “I miss you. And even though you're here it's like you're so far away…” he lets out a huge sigh.

I don't make a sound and listen to him.

“And I don't know how I'm going to tell you that I can't sleep because I'm always thinking about you…or that I love your smile and how you smell like vanilla and roses…or that gleam in your eyes when you see something you really like…or how sexy you look when you're so mad…and how I just love to see you jealous because it's such a huge turn on for me…”.

Seriously Colton?!

“And…I'm afraid to tell you all this…because I'm a jerk who can't admit that he's in love because we can never be together…”.

The door opens and I feel him tense up.

“Oh I'm sorry your highness…”.

“No it's okay. Come in”.

“I just wanted to check if she's awake”.

“No…still unconscious” he says, running his hand through my hair.

“You should get some sleep your highness, it's not good for you. You've been like this for the past two days—”.

“Thank you for your concern…but I can very much take care of myself”.

“Pardon me your highness…I'll leave now”.

Colton sighs as the door clicks shut. He kisses my hand again and puts his head on the side of my bed, playing with my fingers. I open my eyes and slowly lift up the oxygen mask.

“Colton?” I call.

He stiffens and raises his head. His eyes suddenly gaining back it's lovely color.

“You're awake” he says with a huge smile on his face. “You have no idea what you put me through”.

“I heard everything…”.

He looks surprised.

“Alexis—”.

I lift my finger and put it on his lips, preventing him from continuing. I gently rub my thumb over his cheek.

“You don't have to lie to me. I know it's all happening so fast but I don't want to lie to myself anymore when I say I don't love you. I do love you…with every inch of my being... and I know you feel the same way too. You're scared because you think we can never be together because of some agreement you weren't even part of”.

He leans into me and places his forehead on mine.

“You don't understand Alexis. It's much more complicated than you...”.