Epilogue

TWO WEEKS LATER

“Thank you so much for everything.” Marley said as she and J.J. walked out of my front door. The two of them were going to go back to their old home now that Marley no longer had to worry about Nathaniel.

Eric was right behind them, followed by Chloe and me, hopping behind them on crutches. It has only been two weeks and I was already annoyed by the stupid crutches.

“If you guys need anything, be sure to contact us and we would be glad to help you,” Chloe offered.

Marley smiled at me. “Yeah, we will.”

With one arm, J.J. hugged me, saying goodbye. She had one arm in a sling after she had a bullet shot through her shoulder blade.

Chloe walked down the front steps and walked towards her car parked on the street. She was going to drive both sisters home. Eric and J.J. followed behind her, hand in hand. Marley didn’t move and just stood there staring at me. Without saying anything to me, she hugged me. I couldn’t really hug her back at all.

“I’m going to miss you so much,” she replied.

“I’m going to miss you too.”

“I will call you once I get settle in. Maybe we could go out for coffee or something.”

“Let’s do that once my ankle is better.”

She smiled and then said goodbye. I watched her walk over to the car. She said goodbye to Eric and then climbed into the backseat of Chloe’s car who was already in there, along with J.J. She wind down the window and waved to me. My heart broke to pieces as she waved. I knew once she leaves, I wouldn’t be able to have the same relationship with her again. I wanted to, but as part of my job, I couldn’t. I promised Chief that I wouldn’t get together with her again. He didn’t mind if we stayed as friends, but he did mind if I was to sleep with her. If I disobeyed his rules then I would be fired.

Chloe pulled away from the kerb and I watched as Marley disappeared. Eric stood at the kerb, waving goodbye and then came to join me.

“You’re going to miss being with Marley, aren’t you?” he asked.

“Yeah, I guess. But it’s probably a good thing if we just stay as friends. I lost track of my job and I didn’t protect her enough.”

“Yeah, you did lose focus a bit but at least you stopped her and J.J. from being killed. Still can’t believe it was Nathaniel.”

“Same here.”

“If it wasn’t for your job, would you be with Marley?”

I thought about it for a moment and wasn’t entirely sure what I wanted.

“Maybe. I don’t know,” I replied. “I might end up being with her if I wasn’t with Chloe.”

“Well, I’m staying with J.J. no matter what. So, are you still having benefits with Chloe or are you actually going to be in an actual relationship?”

“We had been discussing it and have decided to give a relationship a go.”

Eric smiled at me. “You know, as much as I like you and Marley being together, I also like you and Chloe being together. Especially when you two have known each other for so long and you’re perfect for each other, even if you never saw it.”

I wasn’t sure if my brother was right or not. Maybe he was right and truthfully I didn’t know how I felt about either Chloe or Marley. I wasn’t sure who I really wanted to be with. But I couldn’t help but feel that it might be better that Marley and I weren’t together. And even if I couldn’t be with her, I know that I will always love her within my heart.