Chapter Three

"So you were really trying it out?" Laura asked full of curiosity.

"Yeah, you in?" I heard Sophie ask as I slowly drifted back into my thoughts, should I tell them about what happened before in the bathroom? It might have been me, I tend to forget very easily. I waved my suspicions away and focused back onto the conservation that was going on.

"Fine... I'll do it" Laura said

"Then I don't have to do it right?" Sadie asked with a trembling voice

"Oh come on Sades" Mara replied

"It's fine, you don't have to do it if you don't want to" I added. I could tell she really didn't want to do it and I didn't want to force her to do something that she didn't want to.

Her face brightened up, and she gave me a quick smile.

"Let's do this"  

I forced myself to get up from the sofa and made my way to the bathroom with everyone trailing behind.

" I'll stay out here guys, and if anything goes wrong- just yell my name as loud as you can" Sadie said

"Ok Sades" I replied giving her a quick hug before staggering into the bathroom. Strangely there was a cold sensation in the bathroom, though there were no openings for any wind or air to come through. I softly closed the door and turned the lights off.  The candle was about halfway burnt out now, maybe we should have gotten a new one? No! Ash your just finding excuses to leave here now. I leaned over and turned the tap on once again. I took a deep breath and reached over and intertwined my fingers with Amy's again.

"On three?" Carly asked looking around the circle

"On three" I confirmed as she started to count.

"Bloody Mary... Bloody Mary... Bloody Mary"

We stood in silence. Nothing happened.

I breathed a sigh of relief. Carly and Sophie laughed nervously.

"Nothing happened... Nothing happened!" I screamed with joy as wide grin appeared on my face. I knew it was just b*llshit, it was just another of those legends to scare people.  I quickly blew out the burning candle.  

I leaned over to switch on the light. Relief flooded me as the fluorescent light filled the room, there was no such thing as Bloody Mary- and now I knew this as a fact now.

"Let's get out of here" Carly said reaching for the door. She fumbled with the handle, adding "it's locked! it's not opening"

"Very funny Carls, open the door" I said in my shaky voice, I was starting to get worried "here, let me try" I added tugging at the handle. But the door wouldn't budge.

I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes as I tried hard to keep them back, the last thing we need is a crying fifteen year old. That's when I remembered that Sadie was outside.

"SADIE!" I screamed "are you there?" I could hear small footsteps running towards the door.

"Yeah, what is it? Are you ok?" she asked her voice full of fear

 "We're fine- can you open the door for us?"

"Yeah sure" I watched as the handle moved up and down "it's not opening"

I started to really freak out, tears strolled down my cheeks. Mara pulled me into a hug whispering in to my ear that it's going to  be ok.

A silence followed as I heard Sadie calling out to my brother

Heavy footsteps came from upstairs as he made his way downstairs.

"You guys ok?" he asked. Oh great, he finally cares.

Then darkness filled the room. The lights? What happened? I listened to the rasping breathing coming from inside the bathroom.

"...Mitch?" I called out to my brother, with the slightest hope that he turned off the light from outside.

"Yeah, I didn't turn off the light" he replied reading my thoughts "it's a power cut I think"

Ok, breathe Ash- I kept on telling myself. It's going to be ok, everything is going to be fine. I felt around trying to scramble to a nearby wall in utter darkness. Why did I blow out the candle? I'm so stupid.

"Guys... " I said not feeling comfortable in the silence that was there.

"Yeah" Amy's voice replied

"I'm really scared, I don't want to do this anymore"

"This was all your idea!" Sophie spat back

"I'm sorry" I replied breaking into tears. I was terrified, not only for me but also for my friends.

"SHUT UP! shut the f*ck up ok? The last thing we need is a fight" Laura screamed banging on the door.

"We've got candles- just stay calm ok?" Mitch replied as a low light appeared from under the door. I could hear it in his voice, he was scared. He fumbled with the door handle and when that failed he attempted to kick the door. "I'll be right back guys" he added before walking away.

A bloodcurdling scream tore from in the bathroom making me nearly jump off my skin.

"What the hell was that?" I asked and as the lights slowly flickered on and I got an answer to my question. There was Carly standing in front of me with her hand clamped on her cheek. And as she took her hand away, it revealed a huge deep cut that had blood gushing out.