Prologue

The smell of freshly cooked food filled the air, you fixed your name tag on your top, looking in the mirror you smiled. This is it, the first day of the rest of my life! You made sure your hair was firmly in a ponytail before making your way out of the bathroom.
"Hey, (Y/N) Matt will show you the ropes." The bartender said pointing at a handsome young man across the room. You nodded and made your way over to him.
"I'm (Y/N), apparently you're Matt and you're going to be showing me the ropes here?" You smiled warmly at Matt, Matt nodded as he finished wiping the table.

"Sure I can, it's pretty easy. You have an area, those are the tables you wait." Matt looked at a piece of paper that was hanging out of his pocket. "So you're area 1 so you wait on table numbers 1-7." Matt handed you the crumpled piece of paper. "You just write their orders down, hand them to the kitchen and serve the food. Pretty simple really." Matt smiles warmly at you. "Is this a part-time job whilst you're in school?" Matt asked.

"I finished school this year, I've just moved to mystic falls." You mumbled.

"Really? On your own?" Matt raised an eyebrow, as though he was suspicious of you.

"Yes?" You sighed. "So do you live alone?" You tried to avoid the awkward conversation.

"Yeah, I do." For a moment you could see the sadness in Matts' blue eyes, he blinked a few times and looked away from you. "There's a customer at table 2, let's see how you do." Matt walked away, leaving you trailing behind.

"Hello, my names (Y/N) what can I get for you today?" You smiled, Matt nodded encouraging you.

"Well, you're new." The customer smiled, his blue eyes staring at you, he was looking at you as though you were a meal.

"Yep! Have you decided what you're going to order? If not I can come back in a few moments!" You said politely, the customer let out a chuckle.

"Are you on the menu?" He smirked, Matt stood beside you.

"Sorry sir, but what's on the menu is all that's available. So if you could choose from that, that would be great." Matt scowled at the customer, the smile faded from the customers' lips and a frown took its place.

"Burger and a beer." He grunted, picking up his smartphone and avoiding eye contact.
You sighed, today was going to be a long day.

Your shift at the grill had finally come to an end. There were many customers just like your first one today, they seem to have an obsession making rude and obscene comments. Matt was great though, he had your back through all of it. Although, it wasn't like you couldn't defend yourself, after all since you were 13 you had been training to fight and kill vampires. You knew how to fire a gun, you staked more than a few vampires in the heart too. Your hand-to-hand combat skills were way above average too. It was nice to have somebody have your back though, Matt suspicions of you seem to dwindle throughout the day, maybe in time you two could be friends? You grabbed your handbag and waved at the bartender as you left the mystic grill.

Stepping out onto the streets, you felt the cold breeze hit your warm cheeks. You began to walk in the direction of your apartment. It wasn't too far away from the town centre well, the Town Square as the folks here called it.
You thought Mystic Falls was peaceful and quiet, however walking home tonight... Something didn't feel right. You quickened your pace, eager to get home. As you are walking through the last part of Town Square, it felt as though somebody was following you. How you wished you had never skipped those driving lessons. You could see your apartment building up ahead, it was just at the end of the street, all you had to do was go past a few shops, past the doctors' office and there you were. You kept your eyes fixated on the building, hoping it was your imagination that was making you feel like you're being watched. Within seconds something threw you against the wall, dragging you into the alleyway between the shops. Purple and red veins covered the skin around their eyes, fangs protruded from their mouth. Vampire. The face... The face before you was your first customer of the day... So that's what he meant when he was asking if you were available off the menu. How did you not realise this? You felt stupid - it was an obvious red flag but you chose to ignore it, hoping this really was your fresh start.

"Look at me." He hissed, you looked into his blue eyes. "Don't scream." He whispered.  Was he really trying to compel you? Had he never heard of vervain? You had a choice to make, pretend to be compelled so he could feed or fight. If you let him feed he would realise that you have the cure to vampirism running through your veins. He could tell his vampire friends, or human friends and word could get around.

"You do realise I can't be compelled, right?" You laughed, watching the vampires smug face turn into a face of annoyance.

"Vervain? Damn it I didn't think anyone in this town used it." He raised an eyebrow, hesitating for a moment. This was your chance, you grabbed the wooden stake that stuck slightly out of your handbag, you swung it forward, not giving the vampire chance to react, stabbing him straight in the heart. You watched blood splutter from his mouth, his eyes wide in fear and shock. "You..." he strained to speak, the grey veins taking over his skin, he stumbled back into the wall and slumped in a heap on the floor. You grabbed your stake and wiped the blood off of it onto his shirt, putting it back in your handbag you noticed a figure stood in the shadows.

"If you're another vampire, looking for a delicious snack, I suggest you try someone else, someone who won't kick your ass and stake your cold, dead heart." You shout into the shadows, the figure came closer - you grabbed your stake preparing for a fight. A man appeared before you, light brown hair illuminated by the dim streetlights, a chiselled jaw.

"I came to see if you were okay. I heard a struggle." He said.

"You heard that? You must have some good hearing." You're sarcastic with your reply, only vampires had excellent hearing.

"Well, you were shouting for all to hear about vampires." He shrugged with a smile.

"You're one of them aren't you?" You barrow your eyes, gripping onto the wooden stake in your hands. "I can tell." You breathed.

"Yes, I am." He took a step closer, the streetlights illuminating his face. "I won't hurt you."

"That's what they all say!" You shout, taking a step back.

"I won't I promise, I don't feed on humans." His voice was soft, comforting even.

"What? A vegetarian vampire?" You laugh, what a liar.

"No, but I don't drink human blood, I drink animal blood." He said. "Look, I don't want any trouble. I'll leave." He turned away from you. "I'm trusting you not to stake me, Miss...?" He said into the shadows.

"Nice try." You roll your eyes.

"I'm Stefan." He walks into the shadows leaving you alone, clutching a wooden stake with a dead vampire lay next to your feet. This was supposed to be your fresh start, your new life. You feel a pit in your stomach as you realised that there isn't any escape from them, from vampires. They're everywhere. You'd never be safe.