Chapter five

The amazing bouncing ferret

The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy, heavy clouds of pewter grey swirled overhead as Olivia, Harry, Ron and Hermione examined their new timetables at breakfast. A few seats along, Fred, George and Lee Jordan were discussing magical methods of aging themselves and bluffing their was into the Triwizard Tournament.

"Today's not bad...outside all morning," said Ron, who was running his finger down his timetable, "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures...damn it, we're still with the Slytherins..."

Olivia moaned and banged her head on the table as Harry read out the rest of their classes.

"Double Divination this afternoon," he groaned. Divination was their least favorite subject, apart from Potions. Professor Trelawney kept predicting Harry's death.

"You should have given up like me, shouldn't you?" said Hermione briskly, buttering herself some toastmasters. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arthimancy."

"You're eating again, I notice," said Ron, watching Hermione add liberal amounts of jam on her buttered toast.

"I've decided there are better ways of making a stand about self rights," said Hermione haughtily.

"Oh yeah sure...and you were starving," said Olivia, grinning.

There was a sudden rustling noise above them, and a hundred owls came soaring through the open windows, carrying the morning mail. Harry looked around, seeing a large tawny owl swooped down to Neville Longbottom and deposited a parcel in his lap- he almost always forgot to pack something. On the other side of the Hall Draco Malfoy's eagle owl had landed on his shoulder, carrying what looked like his usual supply of sweets and cakes from home.

His gaze was broken by a sudden nudge to his ribs, and he turned around to see Olivia with jam on her nose and butter at the corner of her mouth.

"Stop looking at the bleached blond git and eat", she said, finishing off her piece of toast.

"You have jam on your nose," he blurted out, and her eyebrows rose.

"Do I?"

He nodded silently, before taking his napking and gently cleaning off the food from her face.

Have her eyes always been this blue?

"Oi! Get away from my sister!"