Crowd Surfing 101

It was Friday night and Gaby was beyond excited about the concert she could barely contain herself.

“Gaby make sure you call me when you get there.” Isabelle said shoving a cell phone into Gaby’s hands.

“Is this mine to keep?” Gaby asked hopefully.

“No, I want it back so don’t lose it.” Isabelle said as she hugged Gaby.

“Can we go now; we’re going to run into traffic.” Gaby whined as she tried to pull away from her mother’s embrace.

“Okay, you two behave.” Isabelle said as she hugged and kiss Nick’s cheek causing him to blush. After another ten minute lecture on the importance of keeping eyes on the rode among other things Gaby and Nick were allowed to leave.

“I didn’t think she would ever let us leave.” Gaby said as she kicked off her shoes.

“Me neither,”

“Why are we in this time capsule of a car?” Gaby asked referring to Nick’s father old 72 Skylark.

“One the bench seats and two...” Nick trailed off as he pushed a button and the top began to fold back.

‘It’s a convertible.” Gaby squeal with delight.

“It’s always been a convertible?”

“Yeah Gaby, why else would the top look the way it does.”

“Umm for style?” Gaby said with a shrug and Nick laughed.

“Oh my god Gaby you are such a ditz.”

“Shut up, you gotta let me drive.”

“You didn’t even know it was a convertible, why should I let you drive.”

“'Cause I’ll pester you until you let me drive.”

“Fine,” Nick said knowing that she wouldn’t stop until she got her way. Nick pulled off to the side of the rode and hopped out of the car while Gaby slid into the driver’s seat with a kool-aid grin on her face.

“Gaby don’t go crazy.”

“I won’t, relax.” Gaby said as she put the car in drive. “This calls for some riding music.” Gaby said as she switched on the radio.

“No chick music.” Nick said with a groan. Gaby switched to the R&B station as she rolled her eyes. Tyrese’s Sweet Lady was in the midst of playing and Gaby squealed with delight.

“That Tyrese is so fine.” Gaby gushed as Nick rolled his eyes.

“Let’s listen to some real music.” Nick said switching to the rap station.

All throughout their trip Nick and Gaby fought over control of the radio.

“Don’t park here,” Nick said as Gaby was getting ready to park in a space at the center of the parking lot.

“Why not?”

“’Cause it will be a mess to get out later,”

After circling the parking lot for the perfect spot Gaby gave up and just parked in the first space she saw.

“You never listen,”

“If you want to park somewhere else you do it, I’m going inside.” Gaby said as she took off her seat belt and got out of the car.

“Fine,” Nick said as he got out of the car, but don’t say anything when it takes us two hours to get out.

“Yeah, yeah.” Gaby said as she pulled her knapsack out of the trunk.

On their way to the entrance Gaby called her mother and let her know that they had arrived safely.

“Where are these seats?” Nick asked as they walked into the arena.

“Who said anything about seats, we’re on the floor.” Gaby said grinning like the Cheshire cat.

“Gaby if we get separated from each other we meet back at the car, got it?”

“Yeah sure,” Gaby said as she pulled Nick towards the line for the floor area.

As they waited for the concert to begin Gaby took in the colorful scene. There were kids that were pierced up, one guy had a green spiked Mohawk, it definitely wasn’t in his element but Gaby seemed to be right at home. She was talking to a group of girls which didn’t surprise him; she could make friends with anyone.

When the concert began the arena erupted into a loud roar, Nick watched as three scrawny guys walked out on stage.

So there what all the fuss is about? Nick thought as he watched Gaby bounce up and down with excitement as the crowd began to push forward trying to get as close as possible to the stage. Nick held onto Gaby as people brushed past them.

“Nick we gotta go forward we’re going to get stuck in the back.” Gaby said as she pulled Nick forward.

“Dang I can’t see.” Gaby complained as she stood on the tips of her toes trying to see over the crowd of people.

“Come on you can sit on my shoulders.” Nick said as he bent down and Gaby sat on his shoulders.

“You’re the best Nick.” Gaby yelled as she took in the view, she could see everything from the stage to the people crowd surfing.

“Nick I want to crowd surf.” Gaby yelled.

“What!” Nick asked as he looked up at her and Gaby pointed to a guy that was crowd surfing a few feet from her.

“No way.” Nick said shaking his head furiously as he wrapped his hands around her knees. All Nick could see was that Gaby was going to get dropped and he would have to explain her broken arm to her father.

“Come on.” Gaby said with a pout. Nick pulled Gaby off of his shoulders and set her down on her feet.

“No it’s not happening,” Nick said firmly.

“You’re no fun.” Gaby said with a pout. Nick opened his mouth to speak but Gaby started to sing along to Basket Case completely ignoring him. 

What did I get myself into? Nick asked as Gaby handed him her knapsack and the next thing he knew she was gone.

“Gaby!” Nick called out only to have his voice drowned out by the music. Nick saw Gaby’s sneaker out of the corner of his eye, when he turned his head he saw her crowd surfing her way to the front of the stage loving every minute. Nick pushed his way through a crowd of people trying to catch up with her but she disappeared into the crowd once she was let down.

Nick didn’t know what to do, he tried to follow in the direction he thought she went but was block by a wall of people. Nick felt someone tap him and when he turned around he saw Gaby’s smiling face and was beyond relieved.

“Shit Gaby don’t you do that ever again. I have half a mind to choke you.” Nick said as he hugged her.

“I’m sorry I worried you, you should try it, it’s fun.”

“Hell no,” Nick said as he wrapped his arms around Gaby’s waist as they watched Tre’ trash his drum set before the beginning chords of Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) began to play signaling the end of the concert.