Tickets and Skanks

April 1999

"Jelly Bean!" Gaby called out as she ran down the hallway of Milord Fillmore High.

"Yes Gabrielle?" Henry said as he braced himself for impact as Gaby ran into him and wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Henry you know I love you right?" Gaby said as she looked up at him.

"Yeah, I love you too Gaby." Henry said as he kissed her lips.

"Guess what?"

"What?"

"I have two tickets to the Green Day concert in Charlottesville."

"Aww that's nice." Henry said as Gaby entwined their fingers together as they walked out of the building.

"You're going with me." Gaby said

"You know that's not my type of music."

"So?" Gaby said as she tried to see his point.

"So I don't want to go." Henry said as they reached his car, he could feel Gaby's heated stare on him.

"I can't go by myself it would be no fun and besides I could get kidnapped. I need my big, strong, black belt boyfriend to go with me." Gaby said with a pout.

"When is it?" Henry asked with a sigh.

"On the 24th,"

"I can't my dad is playing in the music festival in Richmond remember, you were supposed to go with me."

"Awww Jelly bean now what am I supposed to do?" Gaby said with a pout.

"I don't know ask Nick to go with you." Henry said as he held the car door open for her.

"You don’t want me to go to your dad’s concert.”

“No because I know you will pout all night because you missed that concert. I know you have some sick fetish with the Billy Joe guy.” Henry said shaking his head.

“You’re the best Jelly Bean you know that?” Gaby said as she kissed his cheek.

Henry dropped Gaby home and the minute she walked into the house her mother bombarded her with a million questions about her day.

"Mom it was just school, nothing exciting happened." Gaby said as she sat down at the kitchen table and reached out to get a freshly made turkey on rye sandwich Isabelle made for her when she was wacked on the hand with a wooden spoon.

“Oww ma.” Gaby said with a pout as she rubbed her hand.

“Lavi le tue mani” Isabelle commanded and without another words Gaby went to the bathroom to wash her hands.

"How are things with you and Henry?"

"We're fine mom"

"That’s good."

"Why do you ask, you never ask"

"Well I know Henry is graduating this year, I guess what I really want to know is what’s going to happen between you two this year. I don’t want to wake up one morning to find out that you ran away with him."

"I don’t know mom, we haven’t talked about it, I really don’t want to think about it."

"I understand." Isabelle said giving Gaby a squeeze "I’ll be in the living room grading papers, come sit with me after you eat your snack."

"Ooo can I grade a few." Gaby said as she smiled wickedly she loved reading the papers of her mother’s  English literature 101 students and give people C's when they actually earned a B.