Part 1

Cyrus' POV

"Didn't Andi say she was coming?" I ask, checking my wristwatch. 

Buffy pops in another baby tater before answering. "She's probably just running late." 

The Spoon is buzzing with energy today, as it usually is on Fridays. The hum of voices fills the air, but Buffy doesn't seem to care about the several other conversations happening around us in other groups. I'm catching snippets of all of them, though never enough to understand what anyone is talking about. 

"Jonah," Buffy says, pausing her snacking, "didn't you ask for another milkshake?"

"Yeah, but it's fine." He waves his hand to dismiss it, a calm smile on his face as always.

"But you wanted one, didn't you?"

"Yeah, but It's okay. She's obviously busy."

He gestures to Amber who's scurrying between tables, passing out dishes and picking up trays right and left. 

"I don't want to cause anymore trouble than she already has," he insists. 

"Are they usually this short-staffed?" I wonder. 

Buffy shrugs, and eats another baby tater. 

Suddenly, the door chimes open, and I turn to see Andi rushing in, and sliding into the booth next to me. 

"Sorry, guys. My mom wanted my help picking a colour for Cloud 10. She's tired of the white—thinks it needs more colour to liven it up."

"That's okay," I respond.

"So about the long weekend," Buffy starts, "I know I said we could have the movie marathon at my place, but my mom is redoing the flooring in our living room, so we won't really be able to be in there while it's happening."

"What?" I say, disappointed.

"So I was hoping maybe Bex would let us have it at your place?" she suggests to Andi.

Andi frowns. "About that, I was meaning to tell you guys, but I actually won't be able to do the marathon anymore."

"What? Why?" Jonah asks.

"It turns out Bowie has an Aunt, who has a lodge on a lake, who invited us to stay there over the long weekend."

"Oh," Buffy responds. "Well, that'll be fun. Take lots of pictures, okay?"

"I'm sorry, guys," Andi continues. "I obviously wanted to spend four days watching the best Disney Channel original movies with you all, but I also want to meet my Aunt. And Bowie really wants me to come, and Bex—"

"It's fine, Andi," Buffy cuts her off. "You have to spend time with your family."

"I just feel bad. We've been planning this for weeks."

Suddenly, I hear a beep from my phone. I pull it out to see a text from my mom, telling me to come home for dinner.

"What is it?" Jonah asks.

I shake my head. "I've got to go home, but I'll see you guys tomorrow."

Andi slides out of the booth to let me out, and the group waves to me as I exit the diner. Outside is chilly, and I immediately wish I had brought a coat. Instead I'm left in a T-shirt in the cold wind, with a long walk separating me and the warmth of my house. I start walking, my pace quickly, eagerly wanting to get out of the cold. 

After crossing a couple intersections, I pass by a familiar place on my way and peek in through the glass to see if TJ is working today. All I see are kids spinning and running around a boy I don't recognize. I feel disappointed. I kind of wanted to see him, although I don't really know why. I just saw him at school, and I don't have anything new to tell him. But still.

I step over to continue my walk, but stop when I hear someone shout my name. I turn around to see TJ jogging over to me from down the sidewalk, holding a paper bag in one hand.

"Hey, Cyrus!"

"TJ! Where did you come from?"

He slows to a halt in front of me. "I finished work early and went over to the Spoon to see if I could catch you there, but Buffy said you already left."

How did I pass by him without noticing?

"I stopped to get muffins on the way." He unrolls the top of the bag and pulls out a muffin.

"Chocolate chocolate chip," I say, smiling as I take the muffin he holds out. 

"I know you," he says, grinning. "And guess what else they had."

"What?"

He shows me the other muffin with blue spots covering it. 

"Blueberry macadamia." He looks at me with a face of victory.

"I can't believe they actually make that!" 

"Oh, they don't, but I put in a special request."

I laugh at that. "The people at the bakery must like you."

"Who couldn't?" he says jokingly.

"Good point," I reply. "Where are you headed?"

"You see, I was planning to see you to ask if you wanted to come with me to this thing tonight."

"Oh, a thing?"

"Yeah. My mom is in charge of this community movie night thing in the park. She wanted me to help make popcorn and set up and stuff."

"What movie?"

"Moana." He notices my expression and agrees with a nod. "I know, I don't really want to see it again. I've already heard all of the songs about twenty thousand times from the kids at the gym. But I figured it'd be better having a friend there with me."

"You want me to help out?" Something about that makes my stomach flutter—the thought of being with TJ together at a movie, without the rest of my friends there, even though we won't really be watching the movie, but I think that makes it better. 

He nods. "If you want. It'd be great to have someone to talk to while I'm making popcorn."

"I'd love to," I reply. 

"Awesome! Meet me there at 7:00 to help set up." 

He gives me a smile before spinning around to go in the opposite direction from me. I watch him as he walks away, my eyes flickering between him and the muffin in my hands. As I bite into the baked good, I notice him glance back at me and give me a smile, and I pause in the middle of taking a bite to wave. Then he turns back around and i carry on with my snacking as I continue my walk home.

A/N: If you're reading this, thank you so much for giving this story a chance. I know this chapter was slow, but I have a plan, and it's going to be the cutest damn thing ever, so stick around for that. I just want to make sure there's enough build-up to different events, because I honestly hate it when people will start stories right in the part that should be most dramatic, but the lack of build-up takes away from what could've been a really beautiful moment. Anyway, thanks! I hope you enjoy it!