Chapter 4

One whole week had passed since the incident with Lakshmiray and other than the fact that she was still lying unconscious in bed, things were slowly getting back to normal.

      Well, maybe that was a lie.

      I could often feel that dark feeling inside me as Darius tried his hardest to get control of me again. But I kept fighting it back. I didn’t want him to get control. He had blinded me once before, and I wouldn’t let him blind me again.

      Another weird thing was Jace. I mean, he was super nice… but now that we were good friends, we seemed to always be paired up together. The teachers seemed to think that we worked very well together.

      And that wasn’t… untrue. We did work well together. However, there were often times where I felt really uncomfortable with him. Especially since he always knew how I was feeling.

      I tried my best to get used to it, but nothing seemed to work.

      And to make everything even worse… the days were getting unbelievable longer.

      Like today.

      When the day had finally ended, I found myself sprinting down the street to get to my aunt’s house so that I could check on Lakshmiray. I did that every day… I was always hoping she’d be awake.

      When I got there, my aunt welcomed me with a smile. “We have good news. Lakshmi is awake!”

      I felt my heart skip a beat. “Thank god!” I said as I dropped my backpack onto a chair.

      "By the way, Aathy, Serpethion and Chirpy wanted me to let you know that they dropped by last night. They rushed back to Raakshya when they found out about Lakshmi, though."

     I smiled. "Alright. Thanks for letting me know." I said as I rushed up the stairs towards Lakshmiray’s room.

      I heard my aunty chuckle.

      When I opened to door, I looked at my cousin, who was still lying in bed.

      She looked at me too, smiling.

      I walked over to her with a smile, my eyes on the symbol on her forehead.

      It was a crescent moon, except both the pointed ends pointed up. And ontop of the moon, in between the pointed ends was this other symbol which looked sort of like a sun.

      “It’s an… Adinkra symbol for faithfulness.” Lakshmiray said. “Veena looked it up.”

      I sat down on the stool next to her bed. “That sounds awesome!” I said, ruffling her hair. Her fever had completely disappeared. “How are you feeling?”

      “Much better.”

      “Does anything feel… different? Do you feel stronger?”

      Lakshmi shook her head. “I feel normal… But I haven’t really done anything, so I don’t really know if I feel stronger or not.”

      I smiled. “Well, you need to get a lot of rest, okay?”

      She nodded.

      Like me, Lakshmiray had very curly hair, but right now, it was messy. Which of course, was normal, since she’s been in bed for so long. She also had adorable, beautiful, large brown eyes that made her look much younger then she really was. And she was really in grade eight, she was thirteen.

      I started to think about that. She was going to be going to high school next year. That itself would be a hard transition… I wondered if this whole Raakshyan thing would make it even harder for her.