Chapter 9

hey guys :) i'm really excited for this one! sorry for any mistakes, love you all xoxo. Also, this is dedicated to @hannah1724 because she's amazing - an amazing writer and an amazing person. go check out her stuff, vote, and follow her! thanks x ALSO: please check out my other Luke story called Don't. Thanks! :)

The next day I find Michael at school. I walk up to him, grab his hand, and stand on my tip toes to peck his cheek.

"Hey," I say.

He grins, but looks a little confused.

"Hey?" he says, although it sounds more like a question. "What's all this?"

"Am I not allowed to kiss my boyfriend?" I ask, squeezing his hand.

"No, you're definitely allowed to do that," Michael replies, leaning down to kiss me quickly.

I smile at the contact of his lips on my skin. This is what it's going to take. It's going to take effort. I have to make this work. If I don't throw myself into this relationship, than it's not going to be a good one. That's why I was confused earlier... I wasn't trying hard enough.

That was the problem, for sure.

Every time I see Michael before lunch, I hug him. I kiss his cheek or grab his hand or do something of that sort that probably looks ridiculous to everyone. But I have to. I have to feel something.

When lunch rolls around, I scoot my chair so close to Michael's that I'm practically sitting on him. I keep one of his hands in mine, and try not to look at Luke, who is between Ashton and Cal across from us.

*LUKE'S POV*

I think I'm going to vomit. I think that my insides are going to plunge out of my mouth and make a huge mess.

I can't look at her. But at the same time I can't look away.

She's all over him. She's practically on top of him, their hands glued together. She won't look at me, and I'm finding it hard to breathe.

I hear Ashton let out a low whistle next to me, and I'm about to have to get up and leave when fucking Stella sits down at the table wearing this God-awful blue polka dotted dress. A huge, fake looking smile is plastered across her face.

"The carnival starts tonight!" she screeches, and my I'm instantly reminded of her mother. Her psycho planner, teenage liking mother.

"Yeah," says Noelle, sounding distracted. Probably by her dick of a boyfriend. Her dick of a boyfriend who is so much better than me in every way.

"Luke?" asks Sarah, raising her eyebrows at me. "You'll be there, right?"

"Do I have a choice?" I quip, confused as to why she's even talking to me, much less figuring out if I'll be at her dumb carnival.

"Good. We're going to need all the help we can get," she replies briskly. "Don't forget to be there at five thirty!"

I roll my eyes and go back to picking at my food that I can't eat because of Noelle.

"Oh!" Sally says suddenly. I don't even bother looking up until she is sticking her hand in my face. "This is for you. It's from the principal, I think."

I groan inwardly. What the hell is this? What could it be this time? I give the girl the meanest look I can muster up at the moment and then snatch the note from her.

"Well, I'll see you guys tonight, then!" she says, standing up from her seat. Her smile dominates her face again and she flounces off.

I open the note and, to my surprise, see handwriting that definitely isn't the principal's. There's no way that fucker dots his i's with hearts.