Chapter Fourteen

"She's gone," Aaric whimpered, tucked away in his bed. Over the past week that she had been gone, he found it near impossible to get out of bed and face his alpha duties. There was no reason to, as his other half was gone. A piece of him was missing, the driving fore to keeping the pack in tip-top shape.

"I know, alpha, but there's nothing we can do," Clive responded. "She left the school with her friend, and by the time we reached her apartment, there was no trace of them ever living there in the first place."

"Could it be the danger she inferred she was in?" he questioned, propping her head up slightly. "She told me it was better for me to be without her for the time being in order to keep me safe, but what sort of danger could she possibly be facing on her own? Doesn't she know I will be there to save her no matter what?"

"No. She's a human," he deadpanned. "A part of me wonders if you misheard what she actually meant when she said that to you," he commented before shaking his head. "Nevertheless, you are still an alpha. Fate put you two together, so you will see her again when the time is right. Now may not be the time to be together."

"Why wouldn't it be the right time if I was supposed to meet her now? Why send her away? All that does it cause my wolf and I pain and the inability to function properly. She had to have been placed in my way now so I can help her, I know it. I feel it," he insisted.

Clive ran his hands over his face, knowing that in some way Aaric was right. If Azalea was in danger, surely they met now so he could help save her. But if she left without a trace, then how was that fate telling him to help her?

"How about a run, alpha?" he suggested in defeat, knowing he would not be able to answer the question. "Maybe your will lead to her."

Thinking that to be true, Aaric tossed the blanket and ran towards the open window. He jumped out of it, shifting midair, transforming into his magnificent beast. Clive followed close behind, his tan and white wolf running through the trees. More wolves began to join them on their run, ready for backup in case they were needed. Though the alpha was powerful, he was still only one wolf.

A strange scent pierced his nostrils in a foul odor. He rapidly sniffed at the ground, wandering towards a small bundle of bushes. Peeking his nose through the leaves, he sniffed vile rogues. Perking his ears up as he looked through the leaves, he noticed five of them in their human forms, causally waiting around.

"So this Azalea chick is just heading up towards Ash Fire?" one rogue questioned.

"Yes, heading towards a pack. She's searching for something, I don't know. All we need to do is wait for Bentley to capture her, and then we can use her as bait for the alpha," the second one explained.

"Man, this bitch is just asking to get herself killed. If she's dumb enough to wander away from her mate, then how much of a dumbass is the alpha?" the third commented, and at that, Aaric jumped out of the bushed and bit into the rogue's neck. No one would disrespect his name, and he'd kill whoever would do the same to his mate.

His pack instantly killed the other four as Clive mindlinked to Aaric, "Alpha, she's going to be crowded by their wolves. We need to head for Ash Fire now!"

Realization burned his mind as he sprinted northeast towards Ash Fire. Calling for backup through the mindlink, fifty wolves were soon following in pursuit of the alpha's mate. He was able to pick up on her muffled scent, following her to a small clearing near a river. There he found the area surrounded by rogues as a man interrogated her. As she stood up to fend herself off, he quickly jumped over the wall of rouges and the man to stand as a barricade between it and his mate.

"Aaric!" Anton shouted bitterly.

Unaware of how she called out to him, all he could focus on was how a rogue dared to touch her. "You cannot have her!" he roared.