A Walk in The Rain

"I'm telling you Evan the guy was strange

"I'm telling you Evan the guy was strange..." Violette said she had arrived to work early to report what had happened to her boss. "Was he dangerous?" Evan asked peeking out the windows into the rainy streets. "No, I don't think so. Something about him just felt, wrong." Violette sighed.

"Well, If he shows up again. Call me, I'll send my son Benny down to come to check in. Maybe seeing some Blues are watching the place will give this guy less reason to act out, should he plan on it." said Evan. Violette enjoyed a warm cup of coffee, watching the vivid orange and purple hues of the sunset reflect in the rain puddles.

"Thanks, Evan, but honestly. He felt wrong, not dangerous." Violette said with a tired sigh, "sort of like seeing a ghost." she said.

Evan pointed at her with a corkscrew a long grimace on his face "You're lucky two others saw him, or you'd have me worried. They say the closer you get to the other side, you start seeing people who already are. I told you, you should take a few days off." Evan lectured.

Violette smiled and chuckled softly "Evan, stop. We have this same conversation every night. My reasons never change." She said.

Evan watched Violette, his grimace still stretched down his face. "Yeah well..." He grumbled, it was a battle he was never going to win.

It wasn't long before Evan left and Violette started her shift, the early half of the night was quiet. Marty wasn't there, it was an odd occasion that had only happened once before. Marty would come dragging through the door of Evening Evan's at 7:45 on the nose every night.  The one night he wasn't, the very next night he had walked in with a limp, and stitches across his cheek. No one asked any questions.

"Hope he's alright out there." Violette thought, flicking on the Jukebox. 

The door softly chimed, Violette turned to greet the customer, "Ruth, you're early tonight." Violette called with a smile. Ruth who had run in with a newspaper over her head giggled "If I'd stayed any longer out there, I'd look like a wet rat. Nobodies looking to hook up in a storm like this, It's raining the devil and pitchforks out there." Ruth said.

Violette laughed lightly and gestured to Ruth's usual table "well, pull up a seat, I'll get you a new paper. But you're soaked to the bone. You'll need more than just water tonight." Violette called walking towards the newspaper stand. However, she did so a little too quickly, grabbing the newspaper roll Violette found herself out of breath.

Resting a hand to her chest as if to calm her lungs, Violette wheezed quietly. She shut her eyes "it will pass, just stay calm. The doctor said no quick movements." She thought to herself, a bitter smiled formed on her face, "how could remission turn to spread so quickly." she thought. It wasn't fair, a small lump which was removed, and after five years, its cousins had made themselves comfortable. Renting out rooms in her lungs and her bones, and then refusing to leave while tearing up the property.