Louis Tells a Story

The unique sound of the sarangi lulled in perfect harmony with a cello and chimes in the mellow house music filling the restaurant

The unique sound of the sarangi lulled in perfect harmony with a cello and chimes in the mellow house music filling the restaurant. It was barely occupied filled with various persons and a few families happily enjoyed a late meal. Every face was seemingly more than satisfied.

Violette stood by unsure of what to do with herself as Louis pulled her seat out for her, and helped her remove her raincoat, draping it elegantly over the back of a spare seat. "Thank you, But really you don't have to." She said. Louis' deep chuckle cut through Violette's awkward protesting as he pulled out his own seat, "It's amusing how uncomfortable people become with acts of respect. What I do is no less than how I would have expected anyone to treat the women of my life." He said, leaving Violette unsure of what to say.

"Welcome to Surat Savors, I'll be your waiter today." A young man said offering a bright smile as he handed out two menus. "Might I recommend the Tomato-Yogurt Chicken Curry on rice with Aloo Roti, it's the house special tonight, and may I bring your drinks while you wait?" The young man asked.

"I'll gladly try the house special." Louis stated, he looked to Violette patiently, "yes, me too please. That's a new one since I last visited it. I'd like to order a water and Chuak." she said letting her eyes quickly scan the beverages page of her menu. While she did so Louis carefully browsed through his own menu. " Water and an old-fashioned," Louis said, "ah, cherry or lemon sir?" The waiter asked. "Lemon, please," said Louis, passing back his menu.

Violette followed suit, though her movements were far less graceful as she found herself caught up in studying Louis. He moved like a man who knew he was meant to be in every moment of his life, right where he was. So much so, that it was as noticeable as wearing a neon mask. 

A coy smile slipped across Louis' face and Violette was made frightfully aware of her gawking. She quickly cleared her throat and fussed over her napkin, "um so about the land..." she managed to speak. Louis however was unable to do away with his smile. "might I...break the nature of tonight for a moment to say," Louis paused purposefully drawing Violette's eye, "caught again in his traps." her mind mused as she tried to hold his gaze. 

"You look wonderful tonight," He said. It took all of Violette's resolve not to have her mouth come tumbling open. Surely it was a pity compliment, after all, it was a basic black dress  and she felt less than wonderful in her own skin. "um..." Violette murmured, side glancing. "Sorry, people are so gaudy nowadays, I take notice of those few who enjoy simplicity, naturality," Louis explained.

"That and I am told I am a bit too forthcoming." He chuckled as the waiter popped in to deliver their drinks. "It's fine. thank you." Violette sighed, "now about the land, I haven't tried to sell a house before let alone 400-some-odd acres." she said. "It all works the same, it won't be tedious. I would just like to make sure you are ok with selling so much of your family's land." Louis stated carefully, "where I come from family land is held dear. But then I know from personal experience large amounts of land can be a lot for one person to manage alone." he said.