FIFTEEN

It took nearly thirty minutes for the two to get organized again, but when they did they immediately were forced to go to the charity banquet.

Standing there in her dress, Evelyn awaits the signal needed. She twirls the champagne in her glass, taking very few sips of the bubbly drink. Rich folk everywhere are talking about the "latest gossip" and such.

Her eyes land on the smallest person in the room, billionaire Bruce Wayne himself. Also known as, the target of the evening. Keep him close, she reminds herself.

Putting on a fake bubbly smile, Evelyn struts towards the boy and his butler, gaining their attention with a "Mr. Wayne!"

The small boy turns around, looking up at the young woman who's dark makeup covers any distinct facial features. He gives a false smile.

"Mr. Wayne," she greets once again, extending a hand. "A pleasure to finally meet you." She looks up at the butler. Though he's old, he seems like he could knock a fella out with one sucker punch. "And you must be his guardian, Mr...?"

"Pennyworth," he answers, the British accent extremely evident. He shakes her hand out of politeness.

"I'm sorry," the young boy interrupts, causing Evelyn to make eye contact with him. Her ice blue eyes light up at the idea of being recognized. "But do I know you? You seem familiar."

"I wouldn't expect a charming man like you to know who I am," Evelyn lies, dismissing it with a wave. "My name's Dr. Alice Payne. I kind of helped set up this nice little event."

"If you'll excuse my impoliteness, but you seem extremely young to be a doctor," Bruce points out.

Giving a tight smile, Evelyn responds with, "Hard work prevails, no? I'm sure your father would agree." Evelyn takes a small sip of her champagne before continuing. "I hear there's a magician tonight."

"So I'm told," the billionaire responds. Evelyn resists the urge to roll her eyes.

"Well, I'm sorry to have held you up, please enjoy yourselves." Evelyn takes a few steps away before hearing her false name be called.

"Dr. Payne!" The British Butler calls out. Evelyn turns, giving a tight smile. Bruce had run off elsewhere, leaving just the two of them. "What do you know about this magician?"

"He's one of the best we could find," Evelyn answers.

"You see, my boy's been a little out of it recently. Do you think this magician will help cheer him up? Even just a little?"

Evelyn almost smirks but instead gives a bright smile. "I assure you, Mr. Pennyworth, adrenaline will be coursing."

"Thank you, everyone, for coming!" A voice announces, indicating it's time to begin. Evelyn gives the butler a small wave before walking back to her little corner. "I'm Dr. Lee Thompkins. For the past five years, I've had the honor of helping the children's hospital. Thank you for your support. Without further ado, please welcome, The Great Rudolpho!"

Carnival music plays as Barbara, dressed in a pink skimpy assistant leotard along with a feathery mask, walks out in front of a checkered box. She opens it only for no one to be there.

Evelyn smiles a little as she fake gasps. Barbara closes the door before pretending to think. Opening it once more, Jerome with his mask and beard appears, yawning.

"Ha!" He exclaims, arms up in excitement. "Greetings ladies and germs!" He welcomes with an Italian accent. Or is it Russian? Evelyn can hardly tell due to it not being a very good accent. "I am, indeed, The Great Rudolpho."