Chapter 4 - Universal Brawl

Hela could feel Emerald smirking and she soon found her in the crowd.  It did not take her long to also see the Chitauri Commander Mortis.  She changed course and also started walking toward him.  Mortis had no idea that he was a rat, caught in a fast enclosing trap. 

The Guardians came running into the market, having tracked a magical surge to it.  They looked around, but it was so full and busy that they could not pinpoint Emerald's exact location.  "Split up!  Gamora that way!  Drax, take the flank!  Rocket, you and Groot head off to the left!  I'll take the center!" Starlord ordered, as he put his mask on and leapt onto the ground.  Gamora took off, sure footed and swiftly gliding through the throng.  Drax, with his heavy tred, created plenty of space for himself, as did Groot.  Rocket stood on Groot's shoulder and hung onto one of his twigs that protruded from his head. 

Emerald and Hela continued their approach on Mortis.  Hela was reaching for her laser gun, while Emerald was about to pull Fireheart out of a traveling, pocket dimension.  Rocket, standing on top of Groot, saw a hooded figure and a veiled girl, walking towards a Chitauri commander.  He whistled loudly, and Starlord glanced over.  Rocket indicated with his little finger towards the two suspicious people.  Starlord looked and raised his arms over his head like 'what am I supposed to do'?  Rocket growled and looked back at them, knowing exactly where it was going to go.  Pulling on several of Groot's branches, Rocket guided Groot towards them, carefully.  People parted and let Groot through.  Emerald did not see them, so focused was she on Commander Mortis.  Hela, however, could not miss a raccoon, perched on top of a walking tree.  She turned, ignoring Commander Mortis, and raised her laser gun.  Rocket saw it, and he reacted by pulling out a bazooka.  The loud click made Hela realize how useless her laser was going to be.

"Oh shit!" she said as she hit the deck.  The huge bullet went whizzing over her and destroyed a food booth.  The rest of the Guardians heard the explosion and knew who it was.  They broke and ran for that section of the market. 

Emerald turned when she heard the explosion, and saw Hela leap to her feet.  "Damn!" she cursed as she spun around, pulling Fireheart from the pocket dimension.  Commander Mortis turned around, just as Emerald came crashing down with her sword.  Mortis brought his arm up, and Fireheart made contact with his arm guard.  The sheer power behind the blow though, knocked everyone nearby down.  Groot planted his feet into the earth, but Rocket was almost thrown off.  He clung to Groot's branches and yelled.  Being a goddess, Hela was the only one who remained standing.

"Show off," she said as she walked over.  Emerald smirked, but Mortis knocked her back.  He raised his ax and growled at her.

"Who dares to attack Commander Kartan Mortis, leader of Chitauri armies?!" he bellowed in a loud voice.  Emerald stood up and removed her hood.  That was when everyone saw her piercing green eyes and they instinctively knew who she was.

"I'm the daughter of the god your master murdered!  And I'm here for my revenge!" Emerald said in return, as she swung Fireheart at him.  Mortis blocked the ancient blade with the shaft of his ax and pushed up.  Emerald did a graceful back flip, and landed on her feet.  She then threw herself backward at the hips and the ax went singing over her.  Emerald felt the draft as it missed her nose by a centimeter!  Emerald then came up, and her hand went up and out.  She caught him around the throat, but he quickly took hold of her wrist and pulled her off.  Jumping up off the ground, Emerald hit him under the chin with a kick, and knocked him backward.  Mortis stumbled, and Emerald dropped to the ground, swinging her one leg wide and taking his ankle out from under him.  Mortis hit the ground hard. and Emerald landed on top of him.  Placing the sharp blade against his throat, she broke the skin and drew blood.  He brought his legs up and wrapped them around her torso, but Emerald teleported herself out of that sticky situation.  Suddenly, the other Chitauri came up, and would have attacked Emerald, if two, huge tree branches did not take them out.  Emerald glanced over her shoulder and saw Groot wrapping his arms around several of the Chitauri and crushing them.  Rocket was using his bazooka on them, and Hela was using her magic.  She would grab  them by their necks, and suck their life force from them. 

"Your souls are mine!  I'll see you in Niffleheim!" Hela said when she had killed the last Chitauri warrior who was nearest her.

"That rhymes!" Rocket exclaimed and Hela glared at him.  She still remembered the part where he blasted at her with his bazooka.  Emerald rolled her eyes, but that was when she was grabbed from behind and lifted off her feet.

"Again?  Seriously?!" she asked as she looked back and saw a strange man who was greenish grey, with red tattoos.  Emerald used her god like strength to break out.  She stomped on his instep, before elbowing Drax in the side.  Emerald then spun around and touched his chest with her finger.  Ice enveloped his body and Drax fell over backwards.  When Emerald looked back to Mortis, he was running away from her, thoroughly terrified of the Goddess of Mischief.  "@#$%!" Emerald said as she ran after him.  She drew one of her knives and was getting ready to throw it when suddenly Star Lord jumped in front of her.

"Relax!  We're here to help!" he said, holding out his hands in a peaceful manner. 

"Well, you're not doing a good job!" Emerald shouted in return.  She dodged his hands, and kneed him in the crotch.  Peter Quill made a funny face and fell over, squeaking.  Emerald jumped over him and slid down a rocky slope after Mortis.  She stood at the crest, getting ready to throw the knife and cripple her prey.  Emerald was starting to release the blade, when Gamora came up behind, and grabbed her arm.  Emerald let go, but the aim was now off.  Instead of hitting Moris in the upper thigh like she wanted, the knife buried itself in the small of his back, and severed his spine.  Mortis fell over, dead in an instant.  Emerald fell to her knees, her one good link to Thanos now dead.  Hela suddenly materialized by Mortis' side and touched his head, sucking in his soul before it flew away.  She stood up and dusted herself off.

"He was destined for Hel anyway," she said.

"He's gone.  He had all the information I needed, and he's gone," Emerald said, not talking to anybody in particular.  Gamora stood by her side and gently placed her hand on Emerald's shoulder.  Emerald reacted, grabbing her wrist, falling onto her back, and propelling Gamora over her and down the hill.  Emerald stood up, while Gamora leapt to her feet at the bottom of the hill.  Hela started to walk towards her, her hand resting on her hip.  The rest of the Guardians came up and saw Emerald breathing hard.

"You are all the blame!  Worthless mortals!" Emerald hissed between clenched teeth.

"Ooh!  She really sounds like Dad," Hela whispered to Gamora as she walked by.  The alien assassin just glared at Hela, but the Goddess of Death just smirked.