Dreams (1)

"C-Casey?"

      Mae Borowski stood in a black expanse, in front of Casey Hartley, the boy she knew and loved.

       Casey had a stern yet tired look on his face. He stared directly into Mae's eyes.

       "This was a long time coming. All my antics. All the "crimes". It's about time I died."

       Mae suddenly rushed towards Casey, hugging him.

       "I see you miss me. I miss you too, Mae. But... there's nothing we can do."

       Mae looked at Casey again, a somewhat scared look on her face.

       "There's nothing you can do."

       "I-I-" Mae stuttered.

       "He's gone. Because of you."

       "Don't say that!" Mae screamed.

       Casey began deteriorating into multiple simplistic shapes.

       "No! NO!"

 "Geez, Mae. I've had some pretty bad nightmares, but you sound like you're straight out of hell."  Beatrice Santello sat on the couch, staring at her fingernails, next to a very disturbed looking Mae.

   "Wha- What?!" Mae exclaimed.

   "You had a nightmare. I mean, I think so. I haven't heard of any dreams that end with 'No, NO!'. You'd probably have to be pretty weird for that to happen." Bea replied nonchalantly. 

    "Bea, why am I in your house?" Mae said, changing the subject.

   "Oh yeah. You pretty much came over last night sobbing about a bunch of stuff, and you ended up getting really drunk and collapsing right there." She said, still not looking at Mae.

    "Wow. I'm really torn up about... him." Mae said.

    "Yeah, you are." Bea replied.

    The two sat in silence.

    "Were you just watching me sleep?"

    "Go home, Mae."

    "I caaaaaan't..." Mae groaned. The hangover had hit her. "Darn you, alcohol!"

    Bea took the cigarette out of her mouth and walked into the kitchen. She came back two minutes later with a bowl of egg yolks.

   "What are you doing?" Mae said.

    "Hangover 'Cure'." Bea said. "It'll help, at least."

    "Thanks, Bea." Mae sipped it, then instantly started coughing and hacking. "UGH! That's disGUSTING!"

    "I said it would help, not that it would be easy. Everything you do always has a price." Bea replied, then walked back into the kitchen.

    Mae eventually got the whole bowl down, and then walked to the door.

    "Thanks, Bea!"

     "No problem, Mae!" Bea replied.

     Mae walked out the door.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   at the end of everything

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Mae walked toward the familiar sight of the 1063 building. Gregg had allowed her to have his apartment after him and Angus moved to Bright Harbor. Mae had accepted it, her only regret being that she eventually has to get a job. She wouldn't worry about that now, however. She was just taking it as it comes, no planning ahead..

    She walked into the room and over to her laptop. 

   Might as well see what's going on.. 

   She powered it on. The familiar sight of her Donut Wolf background, with Sharkle in the corner and multiple different chat icons faded into view. Mae stared at Casey's icon for a second, swearing she could see a new message icon. No hope.

  shapes

   "Ugh..." Mae powered off the laptop and walked into the bedroom. She didn't want to browse the internet, she didn't want to go outside, she didn't want to do anything.

     She lied in the bed, staring up at the bland ceiling.

     I just want to lie here and feel like garbage.

     Forever.

     There was a knock at the door.

     I don't care enough.

     The knock continued.

      "Mae, are you there?" A familiar voice spoke through the door.

      Mae groaned. She got out of bed and opened the door. Germ stood there.

      "Uh, Bea asked me to come and check up on you because she's at work." Germ said.

     "She did? Well, that's nice." Mae replied.

    "Yeah." Germ said. 

    The two awkwardly stood there for a couple seconds.

    "Wanna go do something stupid?" Germ asked.

     "I-uh-" Mae stopped.

     "Mae?"

     She closed the door.

      "I- Okay! I'll tell Bea you're good!" Germ said, walking away.

      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

     hold on to anything