Chapter 1

Okay I'm super excited about this one. Probably the longest chapter one ever. Please take the time to read this.

Chapter one

The barks of the hounds grew louder behind them. The blood lustful brutes. Rowell ordered the galloping charger forward increasing the pace for him and his men.

They had stolen thorough-bred horses from a wealthy farmer's groom. To say the farmer was unhappy about the event was an understatement but a show of sharp edged swords had managed to convince him otherwise. As soon as they had left the farmer had sent his estate guards, about ten, after them with the help of a pack of hunting German shepherds.

"Into the trees now," Rowell ordered as they approached the mountain pass. Being on the path had proved fatal to them as they were easy shoots for the guards' arrows as they travelled up hill. They had lost three men so far. At his word the men turned off the well-travelled path and headed in the direction of the trees. The rough uneven ground forced them to slow their headlong pace but only slightly. Even the most skilled and experienced horseman travelled at an alarming pace though the danger of a horse misstepping on the uneven ground and breaking a leg was evident. Yet allowing themselves to be caught by the farmer's guards was motivation enough carry on.

Rowell dug his spurs in to the horse's sides and the beast went forward with the strength only a thorough-bred could muster. The speed of travel and the thrill of the chase exhilarated him. It felt like was he was but a boy again playing in the fields. His mind was clear and there was a childish joy in his heart. A joy so innocent and simple he stood in his saddle, letting the wind tug at his dark hair and his flushed cheeks, and let out a laugh so hearty and carefree. The laugh had the effect, as it always did to all who heard it, of relaxing and giving joy. Rowell's men were immediately en heartened and encouraged and they rode on with a new found vigour.

As he drew up to Caien, he called to him," Can not you hide us from the foul beasts with a spell?"

"I fear not," he replied as he ducked under a horizontal branch aimed for his head.

"Why not?"

"Don't know how. Its too complicated.

Rowell pouted at him and went back to concentrating on his ride negotiating the treacherous territory.

Rowell glanced over his shoulder. The hounds were inching ever closer and the guards not too far behind. The hounds were close enough for Rowell to see each individual gallop with their tail flaring out behind them. He could even make out their tongues and their canines as they barked after them. Not a pleasant sight. He sighed.

When they were deep enough into the trees, Rowell turned and continued up the hill, staying close enough to the path to keep his bearing. The others did likewise, digging into the horses sides to keep them from slowing as they raced up the incline. If the guards decided to keep to the path they would travel deeper into the wood.

To his left, Rowell chanced a glimpse of Leonandel. Leonandel, despite his age, was a captain in Rowell's father's army. His stamina and skill was well renown across the empire but the friendship he held with the King was unorthodox. He was a young man of 23 years maturity with a pleasant complexion. His nose fell perfectly on his face and his jaw was strong. Years of military training had given him a good build and years of learning made him wise.

Leonandel came from a wealthy family as did all King Crustan's soldiers as this was the policy the king followed. The Policy was the same exercised by the Romans in their zenith of prosperity. By having soldiers from wealthy families who could fashion their own materials the cost of keeping a standing army was greatly reduced on the state. Also because the soldiers funded their own equipment all of it was made for each individual specific to the individual's needs making King Crustan's army the best in the region.