Nala Nyx: 2

Nala Nyx: 2

Nala's POV

2201

"President Hadrian wishes to see you, Miss Nyx," a blonde man said. He was around thirty years old.

I stood up from my velvety chair and straightened my black leather jacket.

"Is he in the office?" I asked as I peered into the large, circular mirror mounted on the wall. Light blue eyes stared back at me.

"Yes. You'd better hurry, he's not in a great mood."

I chuckled at him and put my hand on his hard chest.

"I think I can handle him if I have to," I said with a wink.

I started down the large hallway, whistling quietly. The office doors came into view as I turned a corner. They were solid mahogany.

"Hey Eli," I grinned to the man standing next to the expensive wood. "How's it going?"

"It's going good. And you?"

"Hmm, good." I scanned my eyes over his broad and muscular frame. Eli had been my friend since I first got here. He had taken me under his wing and showed me around the place.

"You better get in there, Nala," he said.

I rolled my eyes and knocked on the door.

"Enter," a loud voice boomed.

Eli pushed the door open for me. The president, my boss, was sitting at his desk inspecting papers. His hair was graying, the usual dark brown slowly fading. The room was mostly all dark red, from the walls, to the furniture. Behind Hadrian was a large wall to wall window, but the curtains were kept shut.

"Sit," he said without looking up, pointing to a vinyl couch.

"You asked to see me?" I pressed.

He held up a finger, signalling for me to wait.

I leaned back and crossed my legs, making myself comfortable. There was a picture hanging on the wall across from me. From where I was sitting I couldn't quite decide what it was. It looked almost like a tree in the fall, but I couldn't be sure. Beside that picture was another one. It was larger than the tree, but not by much. There was a glare from the light, however, preventing me from seeing any of it.

Curiosity was getting the better of me after a few minutes and I was about to get up to look when a voice brought me back to reality.

"You poisoned him," Hadrian said nonchalantly. His dark eyes were deep-set and accusing.

"You said I could kill him how I wanted. It would have been suspicious if I shot him," I defended.

"It's already suspicious! They are inspecting his body, didn't you think of that?" he yelled, "How could you be so stupid?"

"You ordered me to see him personally. If I shot him they would have known it was me!"

A vein in the side of Hadrian's forhead stood out then. I stared at it curiously.

"They'll suspect you anyways!"

"Actually, they won't. Yeller had meetings before and after mine. It could have been anyone," I said calmly, standing up.

Hadrian stood as well and stalked over to me. "Don't backtalk me," he growled. A sharp pain came to my cheek as he slapped me. "Have you ever considered the fact that I could end your puny little life with the push of a button?"

"Yes, sir," I said quietly.

"What's that? Speak up!"

"I said yes, sir."

"Then maybe you should stop prancing around like a little girl," he threatened venomously, "And start doing your job."

"I am doing my job! I did just what you asked of me!" I cried.

That earned me another slap.

"What did I say?"

"No back talking, sir," I whispered.

Hadrian began pacing back and forth in front of his desk. His hands were connected behind his back, and every time he faced my direction he would glare at me.

I sat down again, shrinking back into the smooth cushions, waiting for him to speak.

"I have a new mission for you," he said after several minutes. This didn't come as a surprise to me. He had a new victim often, especially in the past five months.

"Who is it now?"

Hadrian sighed before standing still, facing the large window. "A teacher."

"A teacher?" I questioned.

"Can you hear or do I need to replace your ears as well? Yes, a teacher, Nala," he replied bitterly.

I just looked at him, waiting for him to explain.

"I need information on him. Well, on what he's teaching. There's been rumors that his lessons are a little...democratic."

"But-"

"You will be attending Carrington University, on the other side of the city. You will have a dorm, a roommate and classes that you must attend. You leave tomorrow-"

"Tomorrow?" I cried.

He turned to glare at me, "At noon."

"What if I don't want to go?"

"You have no choice in the matter. You work for me, you will do as I say," he growled.

"Yes, sir." I couldn't look at him without shrinking away, so I stared ahead. The glare was gone, allowing me to see a picture of around a hundred bodies. Some were kids, other were seniors who looked like they could have barely ran for cover. They were spread in front of a large building, blood everywhere.

From the corner of my eye I saw the president turn to see what I was looking at. A triumphant grin spread across his face.

"Three years ago," he said, "It was a protest. We killed all but three."

"What happened to them?" I asked with a sick feeling in my stomach.

He never answered me. Either because he didn't hear, he didn't know or he didn't want me to find out, I wasn't sure.

I could tell he was proud of himself from the look in his eyes. I, on the other hand, couldn't shake the feeling that I knew that place from somewhere. And that wasn't normal for me.

Sorry if it's short, it's a bit of a filler. Don't forget to voted, comment and fan! I'd really appreciate it!