Chapter 10--The Kidnapping

Luckily for me Brendan was there in my bedroom. He was examining my posters, almost too casually.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“Really Addie? You couldn’t have just played along? How hard would that have been?” he asked, more to himself than to me.

“Look Brendan, my mom told me to run and I don’t know what to do or where to go… I think I’m in trouble”

I began to cry. I hate that I cry whenever I’m frustrated—but I can’t cry when I’m sad. At my dad’s funeral everyone around me was sobbing and I just starred into empty space. The papers had said that I was heartless; that I didn’t care that my dad was dead. But that was just garbage. The newspapers always write about things that don’t matter. What the princesses where to the ball or who that movie star decided to date. They never tell you the truth about this world—Or about the failents.

Brendan motioned to the door,

“God Addie, stop crying and follow me.”

He was motioning to the door, ready to show me to the chambers.

“Wait,” I said, and then took off running as fast as I could to Sophie’s room.

When Sophie had been younger she was obsessed with the color pink. She had wanted to only wear pink, eat pink and color with pink crayons. As I crashed through her door I couldn’t help but notice that she hadn’t seemed to stop loving the color pink. I hadn’t been in Sophie’s room in ages. We were not close. Sophie and I had nothing in common. She loved being a princess, going to balls and meeting princes was what she excelled at.

I stood in Sophie’s room panting.

“Addie, everyone’s looking for you, OMG mom is going to literally kill you.”

Yes, Sophie did just say OMG.

“Sophie, please just come with me. I need you to trust me. Something is going on and I think you might be in trouble.”

Sophie, I realized wasn’t even listening she had her head in her phone. Absorbed in some gossip magazine.

“Did you see what John Desmund (a famous actor) wore to the Oscars?” she asked me. She hadn’t seemed to hear what I had said, or cared about what I had just said.

All of a sudden the door flew open and Brendan ran in. He stopped when he saw Sophie, who actually stopped starring at her phone to look at him.

“And who are you? Actually scrap that, I don’t care who you are. I’ve been looking for a boy like you. You’re actually so gorgeous. What movie did I see you in?”

I looked at Sophie, perplexed. She thought Brendan was a movie star. As funny as that was, we really needed to leave.

“Brendan,” I said, turning to face him. “We need to take her with us, she can’t stay here. With such a low score they’ll kill her, or send her to a different chamber. I can’t lose her.”

Brendan looked at me carefully, like he was weighing his options. Sophie, on the other hand was starring at her phone, oblivious about this conversation.

“My dad is going to kill me,” Brendan said. “I literally can’t say no to you.”

And then he sprayed the same green chemical he had before when he’d kidnapped me. Sophie breathed it in and then starred at Brendan.

“I will do whatever you want.” She said. Her voice sounded almost robotic and her eyes, which were normally a bright blue, had turned a pale green.

“What is that stuff?” I asked Brendan.

“It’s just, follow me, gas,” he said. “It’s harmless, it’ll wear off in an hour. Come on we have to get going.”

And that my friends, or readers (you may not like me and think this narrative is boring), is how I ended up kidnapping my sister—and it wasn’t even my favorite sister.

We made it down to the chambers easily, with Sophie following all of Brendan’s commands. I was surprised at the ease of our journey, weren’t people trying to catch me?

When I knew we were safe, I turned to Brendan, “So, Sophie will really do anything you want her two?”

“Yes,” he said carefully, eyeing me. Then he began to smile. I liked his smile, it seemed genuine. He normally had a frown on his face and his eyes full of worry.

“Sophie,” he said. “Sing me your favorite song.”

Sophie then broke out into a chorus of the hit single “Breakup” by Avil. In your time it’s similar to the song “wrecking ball” by Miley Cyrus. She was sining it loudly and her voice bounced off the chamber walls.

Then we heard footsteps, quiet at first, but getting louder. Brendan pushed me against him while telling Sophie to be quiet. I could feel his breath on my cheeks as he pushed me into a corner—trying to hide from the footsteps.

“Brendan, Brendan” The footsteps came into our view. It was just Brendan’s dad.

“What took you so long,” he asked angrily, obviously pissed at Brendan for making him worry.

“Sophie, come out.” Brendan said. Sophie walked out of the shadows. She looked out of place in the chambers. Her dress was too pink and her hair was too glossy.

“Brendan, you can’t just kidnap two princesses. We’ll get caught and die. How could you, you’re my son?” said Brendan’s dad. I looked at Sophie and realized, for the first time, that bringing her may not have been my best idea.