Chapter 4--The Test

I didn't tell anyone about the boy I saw the night of the ball. I know it sounds weird to keep something like that to yourself, especially when you've been told to, “blow a whistle,” if you see something strange. But I had to keep it to myself. Who could I tell? Most of my sisters are concerned about there images not strange boys you see in your house, and my mother would just tell those two strange men in the suits. I don't trust them.

Today is an important day in the mansion, today is test day. In my world when people turn 17 they have to write a test, a test that tells them what job they can have. If you are smart and answer a lot of the questions right you will get an important career, like being a doctor. If you answer a lot of questions wrong you have to become a plumber, or worse a plumber's assistant.

This test is important for my sisters and I, it will tell us how suited we are to being the “Queen of the World.”Our results will be broadcasted to the entire world and the people of the world are recommended to vote for the one of us who scores the highest. This way the one of us who is best suited to be the queen will be elected.

Currently I'm sitting in line waiting to go into the test writing room. I'm last, yet again, because I'm the youngest. My mom sits beside me biting her nails, she's nervous.

“Addie, just go in there and do your best, that's all that matter.”

“I know mom.”

She's nervous for us. I think she's especially nervous for me. I haven't really excelled in anything and she does not want me to be embarrassed when the entire world hears that I should be a waiter.

“Your test score doesn't matter. I'll love you no matter what.”

“Love you too mom.”

“Sophie's been in there a while do you think she's doing O.k?”

No, I think they killed her.”

“Don't be snarky.”

We are sitting in silence now. I look at her, she's lost a lot of weight since dad's death and she's getting some grey hairs.

“Don't look at me like that,” she tells me.

“Like what?”

“Like that.”

Our argument doesn't last any longer because the door opens. Sophie walks out with a huge smile and mutters to me, “I nailed it.”

I know Sophie has not nailed it. She has the intelligence level of a toddler. Once in class our teacher asked her how many paragraphs are in a five paragraph essay and she honestly did not know the answer. She was shocked to find out that there is five.

A lady motions me into the testing room. She has grey hair and a chubby face, although her body is very tiny. The room is cold and dark. It sends shivers down my spine. In the centre of the room there is a desk with a test facing down.

“You have thirty minutes to do the written exam. If you do not finish in time it will be taken away. After that you will take the oral test with me. Understand what I'm saying?”

I nod yes and she tells me to begin.

The test is surprisingly easy. It's all about finding patterns in numbers and pictures, and those patterns are so easy to find. I've always loved puzzles like this. I breeze through the test and am done within the thirty minutes.

The old lady enters again and puts my test in a buzzing machine in the back of the room. I assume that it is reading my scores and sending them out to the public. The lady sits down next to me and opens a notepad and gets out a pen. She then begins asking me questions.

“Addie, what was the last novel you read.”

Well that was easy, I had just finished “The Great Gatsby.” Yes that novel is still around and still as good as ever. I tell her and she writes it down.

“Where do you see yourself in twenty years?”

“Honestly I have no idea, but I'd like to be happy.”

She smiles at my answer.

She then begins asking me mathematical questions and questions about literacy and science. The last question she asks me is one I promise you I'll never forget.

“Do you see any problems with society?”

The answer to this question is obvious, I should say, “No.” But I don't, I pause and look at her in the eye and say, “Do you see any problems with society?”

I'm not trying to be smart or funny, I'm honestly asking her. She smiles at me and replies,

“Well aren't you precious.”

She then tells me to leave and I do as she asks. I know I've failed. The way I answered the last question must have shown her that I am unable to be queen. I'm no sad though. I've never really wanted to be in charge of anything. I'd love to spend my life alone and reading a good book with a bunch of cats. Yes, I want to be a crazy cat lady, I think I'd be very good at it.

Jeromy ushers me to the great hall. It is here they will announce our results to the world. We will be on camera as they do so.

I'm the last one to arrive in the hall, the room is full of press. I take my spot next to Sophie and Madeline. They're talking about the test.

“I was done the hand written test within ten minutes.”

“Well I was done within five.”

“How long did it take you Addie?”

I'm about to answer her question when a man enters the stage. The room quiets, he's obviously from the test committee and his job is to announce the results.

“I will announce the worst results first and save the best for last,” he tells the audience. Then he begins announcing.

“Princess Sophie got the lowest result with a score of 1700.”

This is a low score, it means the ideal job for her is being a bartender or waitress. Beside me Sophie begins to cry. I pat her back and tell her everything will be O.K. That's a lie, it won't be. With such a low score Sophie will be stuck having to work with regular people and living a life that she isn't used to. The man then tell the audience that Madeline received a score of 2000 and Lauren received a score of 2300. I'm pleasantly surprised that my score is higher than those two. They are very smart in school.

I can't believe that I'm in the top three, this means I might actually have a chance in throne because the people still vote and if they like you and your the third smartest and best fir for the throne they might elect you.

The man then tell the audience that Jordan ranked third with a score of 4000. This is an amazing score, it means she could be anything she wanted to be, a doctor, a lawyer.

He then tells the audience that the next two princesses received unusually high scores. Keep in mind Jordan's is unusual, we usually only have 1500 people receive score that high and there are billions of people on Earth.

“Princess Bella received an outstanding score of 4300,” he says. The crowd applauds.

I'm shaking now. I want to find out my score. I can't believe I received higher than Bella, she's the smartest person I know.

“With a score of 5700, Princess Addie receives the highest score in the world.”

The crowed erupts into cheers. I begin to feel light headed this is impossible. My body shuts down, I'm shaking. I never asked for this. Never wanted to be in the spotlight. People are taking my pictures and yelling questions at me. It's too much to take in.

My body decides it can not handle the pressure any longer and I faint. I hit the ground hard, my head hitting the floor and then I black out.