8.

Vic's POV

I took a deep breath and left my office quickly and headed over to Alan's desk before I chickened out. Today was the day, I was going to finally ask him to take on his date that I asked him on. It was nerve wracking. I hadn't been on a date in a long time. I didn't even know if he was going to like what I was planning or not. I could only hope he really liked it.

"Hey," I said, coming up to his desk.

Alan turned and smiled to me, "Hey, what's up?"

"How's your day going?" I asked him, leaning against the wall.

"Uh good, how's yours?" 

"Better now," I said with a smile. "I had a question."

He smiled, "What is it?" 

"Tonight would you like to go out with me?" I blurted. "There's a carnival in town and I figured maybe we could go together with the kids."

"I'd love to."

"Really?"

"Yeah it'll be great."

"Good, I was worried you'd think it was weird that I was including the kids."

"No it's not at all. I love Rosie and I love that she and Benji get along so well."

"I'm so glad you love her," I said, giving him the biggest smile. "I love Benji too."

He smiled, "Good otherwise I'd kick you to the curb."

"I wouldn't blame you," I said wisely.

"You gonna pick me and Benji up tonight then?"

"Of course," I said, rolling my eyes. "I'll be at your house at five."

"Alright, it's a date."

"Perfect," I said and ignored his coworkers and kissed his cheek before I spun on my heel and went to my office to finish up some work.  He was great. I looked at the picture of Belle on my desk, though, and frowned. Would she be happy for me or would she be mad that I was moving on? Was six months too soon?  Maybe it was and she would be mad at me.

I frowned and grabbed my phone and called Margaret.

"Hey, what's up dear?" Margaret said as soon as she answered.

"Would Belle be mad if I started dating someone?" I blurted. If anyone knew Isabelle better than I would, it would be her mother.

"Oh honey, you know she wouldn't be mad."

"Really? She wouldn't be disappointed? Should I wait longer?" I worried.

"Honey, when you're ready, you're ready and that's okay. She'd want you to be happy, you know that."

"I don't want anyone to think I didn't love her."

"We know you love her, but you can't just sit around and wallow. You're allowed to be happy with someone else too."

"It's not too soon?" I asked her quietly.

"No it's not."

I nodded. "You're not mad?" I asked weakly.

"No I'm not. Why would I be?"

"Because Belle was your daughter and I'm going on a date tonight."

"I know she was, but I'm not going to denying you of being happy with someone again. You deserve that."

I nodded again and rubbed at my eyes. "You're right," I said softly. "No one is ever going to be able to replace her though."

She sighed, "Of course not, but I'm sure that Alan guy could come pretty close."