7: The Basilisk

'So, you found a diary in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, and then it writes back to you?' I said to Harry after he had explained what had happened in the holidays. They had decided that Draco definitely hadn't opened the Chamber, though he had made it clear he would have been happy to help. Little git, but that was all he could be called at this stage.

We were sitting in the common room and I was reading Hairy Snout, Human Heart. It was a really good book that told of a man's struggle with lycanthropy.

'Yeah, pretty much! And he, the guy who was writing back to me, said that Hagrid had opened the Chamber of Secrets fifty years ago!' said Harry and I almost dropped the book.

'Hagrid!' I said, absolutely flabbergasted.

'Yes, and, to be honest, I wouldn't put it past him!' said Harry, 'I mean, he does love his scary, murderous creatures, doesn't he!'

'Hagrid would never put students at risk like that!' I argued, 'I overheard that Creevey would have died without his camera to protect him. Are you trying to say Hagrid is allowing something that could kill people to roam free?'

'I'm not saying he means to!' Harry told me, 'You know how he likes to say they are misunderstood. He won't want people getting hurt.'

'How about you go ask him about it?' I said, frowning deeply.

'I don't know...' said Harry, obviously second guessing himself.

'Well, I'm off to the library!' I said and walked out the room.

Harry seriously couldn't think it was Hagrid. If it had been him, he would have come clean after Mrs Norris! He wouldn't let this creature roam and potentially kill students, that wasn't Hagrid. Something was seriously wrong with that diary, and Harry was foolish to be trusting it so much. There was something dark surrounding it.

I got to the library and saw Hermione, her brow furrowed as she examined the large book in front of her. She didn't notice my arrival as she was so engrossed in her book. I was intrigued as to what she was looking at, but it would have to wait as I had homework that needed attention.

'Hey, Hermione!' I said and headed towards the Transfiguration section.

I pulled a book down and started reading. I heard two loud thumps behind me and turned around. Something that looked like a massive snake was exiting the library and I froze. As soon as I thought the snake had gone I turned back towards where the noise had come from. Hermione and a Ravenclaw girl were lying still on the ground.

I swore loudly and ran to Madam Pince who was in her office. Why was it always me? Maybe I was attracting whatever monstrosity was doing this.

'Hermione and another girl have been petrified!' I said and Madam Pince stared at me in shock.

I ran out of the room and Madam Pince followed me. I took her to where Hermione and the other girl were and she sent me to go get Dumbledore.

I ran to Dumbledore's office and found him and McGonagall just exiting it.

'People... petrified... library... massive snake...' I gasped and they looked at me in shock.

'Show us!' said Dumbledore and I took them to where Hermione was lying.

'Massive snake you say?' said McGonagall, looking pale, 'Why is it always you in the midst of the danger?'

'I was reading then I looked up and it was leaving the library! Then I turned around and saw them,' I said gesturing towards Hermione and the girl who was called Penelope Clearwater.