13) Gianluca the Obsessive

There was no surprise when two guys dressed in black knocked on my door a week later. Gianluca's rules were always on my mind.

Other than lie and try to keep a straight face, I was unable to come up with any strategies to keep Gianluca from finding out about my boyfriend.

I grin, which earns me weird looks from the two guys. I could care less. I love saying or even thinking the words boyfriend and Abel. Another smile spreads across my face.

Abel and I have spent time getting to know each other this past week. I blush recalling the steamy kisses that always threaten to become something else.

Gianluca's mother is waiting for us in the doorway when we pull up. Her arms are crossed. Eyes narrowed. If I didn't know better, I would say she's a lot scarier than Gianluca.

The two guys that picked me up get out the car hesitantly. Their backs are hunched. Their eyes look down at the gravel. They're trying to make themselves seem small as they face off against a larger predator.

His mother dismisses them with a wave of the hand. They skulk way. She stalks towards me. Her hands are placed on each side of my face.

She leans in. I can smell her perfume. It's a mixture of lavender and eucalyptus. Her eyes search mine as she whispers,

"Do you want to end up another Nathaniel? While my son is attending to other matters let's talk?"

She releases my face and straightens her back. She turns and walk further into the house. She takes me to the room that Gianluca took me to before. I want to know what this all about.

Who exactly was Nathaniel? Gianluca's mother sips tea from a porcelain teacup. I fidget under her watchful gaze. The breeze from the open window causes her curls to dance around her face.

I can see where Gianluca gets his looks from. Everything about her is beautiful. From the way, she holds her cup to the way she walks into a room.

I'm still not sure what she has to say to me. So far the conversation has steered clear of anything that has to do with Gianluca and Nathaniel. His mother asks me about my life, my family, and my friends.

I tell her about the relationship between my mother and me. About how strained it's been since she and Dominic decided to get married. Not that our relationship was ever good to begin with.

I tell her that I was never really close with my mother's family. My grandmother never approved of my mother's actions. She says that it's horrible that my mother have relationships with married men. My mother destroys everything around her.

My grandmother was right. I avoid telling Sophia about Abel. Instead, I tell her about Dax and what's going on with him, his family, and me.

Sophia nods her head each time I pause to take a breath. She tells me that Dax will come around eventually and to not worry about it. I don't mention the fact that he and Abel have already made up and I feel left out when Abel spends time with just him.

She pours herself another cup of tea. "Do you know why I wanted to talk to you Nicca?" She hands me a stack of photos.

I look through each of the photos carefully. Each one contains the image of two individuals. They show two boys laughing, joking, and kissing.

The two people look so happy together. Like they belong together. Abel and I look like we are so in love. I try not to let the shock of seeing the pictures register on my face. I remember the flashes I've seen this past week. So they were camera flashes.

Sophia is back to watching me. I can't tell what's she's thinking. I never thought Gianluca would have me followed.

I look behind me to the closed door. Is that why I haven't seen Gianluca today?