Chapter 19

One week later, Khushi ran around the kitchen, trying to prepare dinner for everyone. Naniji, Anjali and Shyam were back and the house felt alive again' not like it didn't when Arnav was around, she thought amused. He may not run around the house and do stupid things for her but he definitely knew how to make her feel alive and young. Since they had come back from the reception party, he didnt leave her side. Even when she had told him that she wasn't going to go to work as Naniji guys were coming back, he had promised her that they would both go pick them up from the airport instead of leaving her behind at home so she could finish up some housework.

Ready to dig her hands into the flour to make the dough for the roti, her gaze fell to her left hand and she looked at the diamond glistening on her ring finger. She took it off and placed it on the counter as she went ahead to finish up the dough but as her eyes kept looking towards the ring laying on the counter along with her wedding band, her mind drifted back to the day Arnav had surprised her with it.

4 days ago'

As they both had left work that day, Arnav had told her that he made reservations at a restaurant to go eat out. She thanked all her gods and smiled broadly while he looked at her expressions, slightly bemused wondering why she was so excited all of a sudden.

"What???!! I don't have to cook today!! Na nana na na'" she sang happily while Arnav looked over at her as if she had lost it. She was way too hyper for the day and he wondered if he should have picked a different day to do this.

"Uh huh.." was all he muttered as he sat in his seat, shifting uncomfortably, not sure how she was going to react when they got to the restaurant.

As they both walked in, Khushi noticed it was the same place where her and Arnav had met for the first time and she looked up at him wondering if he did this on purpose but he just looked ahead and walked right through. Ofcourse he wouldn't remember... he was too busy on his phone that day...she thought grumpily.

"Ummm' shouldn't there be anybody at the front? Don't we need to tell someone" But her voice trailed off as she realized that the restaurant was absolutely empty and there was only one booth lit up- the same booth where they had sat for the first time.

She whispered his name as she dazedly walked up to the table, while he stood back looking at her reaction, wondering if she remembered this was the same place where he had seen her the very first time. She dazedly touched the table, remembering her last time there. No she wasn't going to think about Karan, she chided herself, he had no place in her life anymore. Today, it was just her and Arnav, the guy who could her feel all giddy with just that tiny smile of his.

Her eyes moved to the centre of the table, which had the biggest bouquet of white daisies and red roses- her favourite and she stood speechless wondering what was going on. As she turned around to look at Arnav, her jaw almost dropped to the ground, seeing him infront on her on one knee.

Panicking, she fell to the ground beside him and touched all over his face and knees wondering if he was hurt.

Only Khushi could ruin a moment like this, he thought amusedly.

"I am fine Khushi" and she sighed in relief.

"Then what the hell are you doing on your knees in a restaurant?" she almost screamed at him and looked around immediately wondering if anyone heard her but the next second realizing they were all alone.Why were they all alone during rush hour' she wondered. Moving closer to him on the ground, she started whispering in his ears.

"Arnav... I think something's wrong... why is this place empty at 5 pm? I don't think it's safe to eat here... maybe this place is undergoing a food inspection or something... maybe they have a mice problem... the ground is probably dirty too... I was just reading yesterday about the the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) doing random..." but he didn't let her complete her sentence as he pulled her towards him and silenced her with his lips.