09 // in which jen has one week time

It has been two days since Layla said she’d tell me what the second lesson would be about, and she was going to tell me, but cancelled the plan after work since she didn’t feel like it.

         Like hell, she doesn’t feel like it. I know her enough to figure that there’s something else behind this plan, and she’s just waiting for the right time. I’m not sure what, though. But meanwhile, I’m time passing with Claire at her store, Bingo.

          “I think I’m going gay for you.”

          I swallow instantaneously, causing myself to hold in my cough harshly right after I’ve swallowed my tea at the same time while I’m gasping for air. It’s a horrible sight of me, I know, so I try my hardest to hold my breath in. However, life doesn’t work the way you want it to. So of course, I continue to cough hard as my ‘friend’ bursts into laughter.

          “Oh my God,” Claire splutters, eyes closed, hands splayed on her stomach in pain due to the uncontrollable laughter, “Your face!”

          I breathe heavily once I’m done suffering and glare at her.

          “Okay. So now that I’ve finally got your attention,” she says, grinning. “I—”

          Incredulous, I slightly narrow my eyes at her and drawl, “You said you were going gay for me just because you wanted my attention?”

          “Yes?”

          “God.”

          “Claire,” she corrects, pointing a slender finger up, smirking. “My name’s Claire.”

          “I might actually dump my tea on top of your head, Santos,” I grumble, leaning over her countertop, slowly inching towards her face with an intimidating look etched on my features. “I won’t hesitate to do so.”

          “Damn, Sparks, when did you get this violent?” she teases, wriggling her eyebrows.

          I sigh deeply, and sit back down in front of her. “It’s all because of that ass Joshua.”

          “A fine ass might I say.”

          Groaning, I figure out, “You’re like the female version of him. Ugh, it’s like I can never escape from him. He’s a nightmare, Claire. I don’t know what you see in him.”

          She snorts in disbelief. “Clearly his hotness and charm. You can’t be that blind, Jen. I mean, I know you wear glasses and all, but—”

          “Contacts,” I correct, the corner of my lips quirking upwards. “I wear contacts now.”

          “But,” she emphasizes, slightly glaring at me for interrupting her, “I’m sure even a blind person can sense his hotness from a mile away.”

          I shake my head, murmuring, “If only he was here to hear all these words that are coming from your mouth.”

          She sighs dreamily, propping her chin on the palm of her hand, looking distantly away. “Do you think he likes me? Because you know what I realized? I think I actually like this person, you know? Like, I know I’ve probably had a lot of crushes before—”

          “Probably?”

          “—but Joshua’s just . . . I don’t know. He makes me feel things.”