*Chapter Two: Friend*

**********

"Wait, wait, wait, So Hayden Maxwell a.k.a. the boy who doesn't speak calmed you down from having a breakdown?" Bea, my best friend, asks me as she pauses the movie that was playing on the tv. Her light grey eyes look at me with confusion and concern.

"Yes. Were you not looking at me signing?" I sign with my hands to the dyed, dark blue-haired girl on my bed.

"Only parts of it!" She points to the movie and I roll my eyes. Bea sits up and sighs.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you." Bea says softly, "l wish I could've seen the future. I would've canceled my dentist appointment if I knew those assholes were going to mess with you."

She reaches her arms out to grab me. I look at her and let her pull me into a hug, falling onto the bed. Her black hoodie and black jeans were covered slightly with cat hair from my pet cat. Her pale skin was cold against mine which made me squirm around in her grip.

We laugh as she keeps holding onto me in her death hug. I manage to wiggle out of her arms and scramble to stand up. From the force of my body pulling out of her arms, I end up on the floor. My butt lands on the floor and it makes us laugh even harder.

"It's okay. I can deal with it." I sign as I hug my shoulders. I tried to hide my pain from her, but Bea could see right through me.

"You shouldn't have to. They shouldn't be bullying you. It's not right." Bea says as she sits upright, fixing her black "My Chemical Romance" t-shirt underneath her hoodie.

"You should tell them that,"

"As if they'd listen to me..."

I sigh out loud as I look around my room. The light purple walls bounced off the white furniture. The many paintings and drawings hanging on the walls told many different stories. It's something I'm passionate about: art. It's a way I tell how I feel without saying it. Maybe one day someone will see me as more than a silent person. 

We both freeze when we hear the front door open. We know who it is and we jump up and run down the hallway.

"Joy! I'm back!" Jason, my older brother, calls out as he closes the front door. His jet black short hair was styled with gel and his dark brown eyes matched mine. He was a relatively tall and lanky guy. He wore a white tank top with a blue flannel shirt over jeans. He looked like he was going to audition for a Disney original movie.

Bea and I run downstairs and see Jason with a box of pizza in his hand. I smile brightly and run up to him, engulfing him in a hug. He stumbles slightly from the force of me and balances from trying to not fall and drop the pizza.

"Hey! Watch it, I almost dropped dinner," Jason says as he wiggles away from me. I roll my eyes and follow him as he goes to the kitchen. Bea follows as well and we wait for him to put the box down before grabbing a slice of the cheesy deliciousness inside the cardboard box. 

"Bea, what are you doing here?" Jason says at the sight of my best friend at the kitchen island beside me. She shrugs her shoulder with a mouth full of pizza.

"Chillin', what else would I be doing?" the blue-haired girl replies.

"Oh, I don't know, practicing piano because it's Tuesday?"

"It's so boring and I don't want to learn stupid piano. My parents are so lame,"

I laugh at my rebellious friend. Her strict parents are going to scold her for missing lessons three weeks in a row. 

"Well, If your mom asks me if you've been over here instead of at practice, I'm telling her I haven't seen you," Jason crosses his arms with a smirk. His statement makes Bea widen her eyes and shake her head quickly.

"I'd get in even more trouble if you say that!  Just say I'm studying with Joy or something. My mother would freak if she thought I was out being a hooligan." She pleads with my brother. He chuckles and grabs a slice of pizza.

"Like you're not one already."

"I'm just having a little bit of fun. I'm not doing anything illegal."

"Oh, yea?"

"Yeah!"

"Then what about those pills you like to eat like tic tacs?" He asks. I turn my head quickly towards Jason and glare at him. His out-of-pocket question makes Bea shift in her seat.

"Shut up Jason!" I sign to him and he ignores me and Bea looks at him.

"That doesn't make me a hooligan, fuckwad." Bea starts, "I'm not destroying property or anything. Besides, I haven't had any for three days. I'm going clean now!"

Jason gave her a look showing that he didn't believe her. Her light grey eyes stare into his brown ones without saying anything. I huff to try to break the awkward atmosphere around us all. Jason turns his head and breaks eye contact with Bea.

"So," Jason clears his throat as he changes the subject, "how was school?"

"It was okay, I guess." I sign as I shrug my shoulders. I look away not wanting to go into detail about the horror that happened today. The thought of trying to explain to my older brother that I get picked on for something I can't control makes me sick.

"I'm going to tell him," Bea whispers to me which makes me turn my head to her quickly. I shake my head as my eyes widen. Bea had a smirk on her face and my heart dropped. My brother can't find out that I'm getting bullied.

"Joy has a crush on a guy at our school!" Bea says excitedly. I did not expect her to say that to my brother. I let out a breath and shove her with my hand.

"Bea!" I sign with a smile on my face. She laughs evilly as she scrambles to get away from me. Jason has an emotionless face before he scrunches up his nose.

"Ew boys," He says jokingly, "You know they have cooties right?"

"But you're a boy," I sign.

"So?"

We all laugh.

**********