Summary / Author's Note

Most blogs don't chronicle a horrifying, high-stakes struggle against otherworldly evil. Mark Huntley's does.

In the fall of 2004, as the brutal campaign of Bush vs. Kerry draws to a close in Washington, D.C., even more sinister forces are gathering power in secret. For young Mark, who's seeing things he shouldn't see- as a forgotten, destructive nature awakens inside him- politics are the least of his worries. Every choice he makes could cost the lives of those he loves.

Author's Note:

Ten years ago, a 24-year-old office peon in Washington, D.C., sat down to write a horror story starring a... 24-year-old office peon in Washington, D.C. Shocking! The story was in blog format, an interesting idea back in the early aughts, at least. But it did not have an ending.

It was a tense time then, the fall of 2004. The coming showdown between Bush and Kerry cast a shadow over everyone, particularly those living in the nation's capital. And particularly among them, the local peons, who couldn't help but feel the tremors of two mighty machines of money and power bashing against each other. We knew that when juggernauts meet, peons tend to be the ones crushed underfoot. It didn't even seem to matter who won; both candidates acted like near-doppelgangers of each other. That fall, we could almost sense sinister forces flowing through the city, just behind the curtain...

You can still find the original blog story on the InterWebs(TM). It's not hard to locate. But here on Wattpad, I'm presenting a new and improved edition of the story to you, serially, posting a new entry each day that corresponds to those days in ye olde 2004. I'm editing the narrative for goofs, increased awesomeness, and consistency, and I'm adding a real final act this time. Speak up if you have any ideas or observations; I'm open to them. Let's have some fun with this.

The story began Monday, September 1, 2014... a.k.a. Wednesday, September 1, 2004.

Jeff Deck

(Update: Find the official version of the book on Amazon! See my bio for the link)