Chapter 2: The Transfer Student Is a Junior Mystery Man Part 3

THE IMAGINARY

CHAPTER TWO: THE TRANSFER STUDENT IS A JUNIOR MYSTERY MAN

PART 3 (FINAL)

It was the real entrance. The next world was night. Droplets of rain were pounding solid ground. There was this girl with short brown hair, taking refuge in the dimly lit tunnel. The lights flashed every few seconds. She was about my age. She was wearing a long coat buttoned up to the chest area, over her pink-striped shirt.

"It’s coming," she said, panting. "Blue, I need your help."

"That would be the fourth this day," said a raspy voice. A wisp materialized. Its misty qualities were more apparent from the lighting. "Your mind can only take so much."

"Don’t be stingy! I can still take one more--I think."

"Pure emotion. You seem not so certain."

A monster entered the tunnel. I presumed it was one of those Minus creatures. Its purplish body slid on the upper surface smoothly, and its burnt face was roaring.

"Now I can be sure."

"I sense, that that is still pure emotion." She wasn’t listening, however. "Hey, Julia! Stop! Stop!" Julia? Did it mean Julia Skyshell?

"Too late. Resolution." The latter was a ritual chant, like Image speak. Everything had twisted to fantasy.

"Listen to me, do not--" the wisp overstretched to a single layer of mist. It engulfed the girl, and then was absorbed by her body.

She emitted a stream of light, like I did before. But it was transparent, clear as water. Her eyes glowed pure white, as if possessed, but still with tiny patches of black. Streaks of her hair also did.

She faced the soulless being, with much brim of confidence. She flicked her fingers. Massive torrents of water grew from tiny droplets. They ravaged the monster’s face, in overfeed, strong enough to pierce through it. Mr. Minus’s body was erased to ashes as it growled in frustration.

A dark shard fell on the ground. Julia Skyshell picked it up.

"Another Plus for me. That makes it eight. Pretty cool, huh?"

"We could have died."

He turned semi-human. Wait, I knew this guy! He was of Silver’s brethren, also in an imitation of our uniform. His features were blunter and more mature but just as pale, and his hair was pure white. This guy was a younger Blue Deepwater.

"You do not really have to be a Spirit Hunter, Julia. It is just too dangerous for a kid like you."

"I’m not a kid anymore. Even Alice said I’m mature now."

"You call that mature? Your decision was pure emotion." He was being so Mr. Clark. "You were careless. The brave, contrary to popular human belief, are not reckless idiots."

"We can create the key. If this all works out. If I manage to collect enough Pluses."

"Create the key?"

"Yes, create it. You won’t have to die anymore for my sake, Blue."

The two of them exited the tunnel. The thunderclouds were as dark as ever.

Cars drove past, some splashing puddles, in turbo speed. Now that I saw it closely, the place was Wallbridge District. It connected Moonsbane to Sunnyshore, through the civilian tunnel. I remember I went here before once, when Sarah and I joined Sis and her friend in a trip.