Chapter 14 : Lost for Words ( Part 1)

Lost for Words

"I care about you."

A profound silence filled the room, so profound that it was almost suffocating. The air thickened as tension increased, breathing became difficult as confusion and embarrassment threatened to devour their bodies.

Hermione choked, letting out a dry cough, body trembling violently as she put a hand to her mouth in an effort to stop the sounds. Unfortunately, it was to no avail.

Merely two seconds after Draco's statement, Hermione Granger was clutching her ribs, heaving loudly as laughter shook her body. Tears filled her eyes, pouring down her cheeks as she fell back against the door, unable to believe a word the blond had said.

This must have been some sick joke…

"Oh…Oh Gods…Malfoy…that is hilarious…that's definitely a keeper," she guffawed, almost on her knees as her body near-collapsed from the laughter.

Wiping furiously at her tears of mirth, she continued to sob out her sounds of joy, finding the situation more and more comical by the second.

It was absolutely impossible for Draco Malfoy to give a damn about her; she was simply not the type of person he cared about. So, his retort must have been sarcastic and said with the intent to shock rather than create a humourous atmosphere.

At least, that is what she believed…

Completely leaning against the door now, panting heavily, she choked out; "Goodness, Malfoy…where in the world did you come up with something so…?" Her words faltered as her eyes met his.

The silence returned with a vengeance, battering their bodies as her heart thundered in her chest. This time, there was no laughter in her eyes, her body did not shake from joy, and the tears that threatened to spill were not ones of happiness.

His face was a blank mask of cold steel, lips tight, skin drawn; an emotionless façade against the warring emotions within him. It would have been perfect if it weren't for his eyes.

She saw everything in his eyes.

Pain, gut-wrenching pain, mixed with indignation and anger, made his eyes darken to hard steel.

She felt every ounce of breathe leave her body in a rush as guilt riddled her mind.

What had she done…?

"Malfoy…you…you were serious, weren't you?" she whispered, terrified of the answer.

The guilt, she could live with, but it was the fear that she had just destroyed any chance she had ever had with him…all because of one horrible mistake.

He slowly inclined his head, keeping the mask intact, fighting to not give any inkling of his emotions away to her. He couldn't live with himself if he let her see…let her know how he felt. Especially after she had just made her feelings quite clear.

"Oh Gods," she murmured, standing straight, eyes widening with shock. "Oh dear Gods," she repeated, face paling as she took an involuntary step forward, hand stretched out as though prepared to touch and comfort. "Malfoy…I…I'm…"

"Don't."

The words were short, curt, but void of any snappish, crude sarcasm that identified Draco Malfoy as unique. It scared her, stomach knotting painfully as she slowly realized absolute consequences of her actions.

"Don't even bother," he said, voice soft in the silence of the room, the wind howling in the distance.

She took a second step forward, unaware of her unconscious intent, unaware that her actions slowly brought her closer to him. She hadn't even considered just what she intended to do once she reached him; all she knew was that she wanted to cup his cheek and comfort him.