Chapter 5 : A Rare Act of Kindness

A Rare Act of Kindness

Ginny sat by the Common Room fireplace, editing her final essay, completely at peace with the world. Ron had stopped ranting of late; Harry had finally shouted for him, demanding that Ron shut his mouth. It was true; everyone was sick and tired of Ron's childish ranting and ravings and Harry's honest exclamation had earned a wave of other remarks from the fellow Gryffindors.

Ron, embarrassed, had been hiding in his room since then and Harry had gone off to the Owlery to let off some steam. Ginny was left blissfully alone to relax, focus on her homework, and finalize her Christmas list.

It was odd, the more she thought about Hermione and her decision, the more she realized that she had no right to influence the woman in any way. Hermione was twenty, two years older than Ginny, nearly one year older than Harry, and she had every right to do as she pleased.

While Ginny didn't exactly support Hermione's decision to remain behind – mostly because she feared it might cause a rift between her and the Weasley family – she knew that nothing she could do or say would change the brunette's mind. Hermione was even more stubborn than Ron when it came to those things.

"Oh bugger, I just can't get this right."

Hearing the muttering voice of dismay, Ginny turned her head to find little Dennis Creevey hunched over an essay marked by dozens of scribbles and scratches.

Her eyes softened at the way the youngest, and now only, Creevey child looked despaired. She knew that he had found it difficult coming back to the school, and she had watched as Harry had tried his hardest to cheer up the boy. But nothing anyone said could remove the memory of his brother's body.

Sometimes, she and Harry would find him sobbing and the two of them would go over and hug him, telling him that his brother was happier where he was. He would be able to see all of the cool old wizards and he was now with Dumbledore. Harry would jokingly add that Colin would now be able to play all the pranks he wanted on Snape with Fred and they wouldn't have to worry about detention.

Usually it cheered him up, but Ginny still worried. It was his first Christmas at Hogwarts since his brother's death and she couldn't help but wonder if he would be able to last.

Two years wasn't enough time to mourn and she, of all people, understood that. To this day she still hurt for Fred, still cried when thinking of her older brother and his smiling face.

Christmas was difficult on the emotions; it could be an amazing and beautiful time of year but it could also cause the most hurt and pain. You wanted to spend it with your family and loved ones, but it was unbearably difficult to do so when the family or loved ones were dead.

Leaning over, she smiled gently at Dennis and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. She had taken up the role of older sister to the young boy, trying her hardest to make him smile and believe that life was just a little bit better.

"What's the matter, Dennis?"

"It's this Astronomy essay. I just can't seem to get anything right," he sighed loudly, desperation thickening his voice.

"What's it on?"

"The stars and constellations that are part of Orion's belt. I have to find the names of the people who found them, their location, and what else the stars make up. I just...I can't seem to write it properly." He let his quill fall before covering his face in his hands. "I can't do anything right."

"Oh Dennis," she said quietly, her eyes softening, "you are able to do things right. Here, let me look at it, I'll see if I can help you." Without waiting for a response, she picked up the scratch-riddled paper.