one-noticed

(y/n) scuffed her tattered sneakers anxiously as she stood by the empty bus stop. it was late- 2 am, actually- and rather characteristically for her, she was nervous. she never went out this late, let alone was alone.

a slight tickle began in her nose, and she sneezed once, then again, leaving her rubbing the tip of her nose furiously. las vegas never really got too cold, but there was a slight nip in the air, and she wasn't at all dressed for it. (y/n) had been at a friend's birthday dinner at a local sushi place in her neighborhood, and she was wearing a simple dark green skirt and a white tank. "why a fucking tank top", she thought to herself in annoyance.

"(y/n) (l/n) yeah?" a thick accent that she couldn't exactly place what country it could have been from.

(y/n) swiftly turned her head right to face the voice directed at her, her arms tightly hugging her body. "uh...yep.", she cleared her throat. "yeah i'm (y/n). we have-"

"english! spirsetskaya!"

(y/n) cracked a small half smile at the boy facing her. he had a mop of dark, curly hair and intense dark brown eyes; sharp features, and pale  skin. he seemed to almost glow in the moonlight. there was a striking beauty about him, something so simple yet so unique, she didn't even know a word for it. and still, his smile back at her was lighthearted and comforting.

"you're boris, right?", (y/n) asked.

"i am boris, right. what brings you to bus stop so late? such young girl! vulnerable you know!" he sounded serious when he said "vulnerable", but it sounded almost like he was joking. he sounded so serious it was comical to (y/n).

she grinned again. "heading home.", she murmured softly. "you?"

the boy just pulled a pack of cigarettes from the interior pocket of his black hoodie, and a lighter from his back jean pocket. "me too.", he quipped. "you smoke, eh?", he asked, waving the lighter in front of her.

"uh, no, uh..um..i've never.. i don't."

"okay.", he responded calmly, and then lit his cigarette. "less chance of lung cancer, yeah?"

"mm. yeah.", (y/n) were bouncing on the heels of her feet ever so slightly; somewhat cold, somewhat flustered by this attractive boy..talking to HER of all people, somewhat tired, somewhat anxious about being out so late all alone. she felt impulsive, strangely. "uh, um actually. I'll try it. i'll..i'll take one."

boris smirked at her. "i saw in your eyes. i can see- i can read them. you are not fooling me at all, (y/n)." she suddenly felt very exposed, as if he could read her thoughts, but nonetheless took the cigarette. she still didn't entirely fathom what he meant by "seeing it in her eyes", but she took it as some sort of flattery. or actually, not flattery, but being noticed. he noticed her.

"OH!", (y/n) cried out, and then sputtered out dry coughs. "oh my god, ahh!" she continued gagging on the dried tobacco leaves, contemplating why she tried them in the first place.

"i take it you haven't done this before?"

"evidently.", she retorted, but a smile crept onto her face after she stopped practically choking. "clearly not my thing."

"eh, practice makes perfect."

"yeah right, practice getting lung cancer, perfect!", she said with a giggle. boris laughed too, a carefree yet warm sound that made her feel somehow both safe and excited in this lonely las vegas suburb bus stop.

"you know, you are an interesting one, (y/n). you're quiet but you are funny. gentle but sarcastic. pretty paradox girl." his accent sounded rather strong as he said this; she wasn't quite sure of where he was from. Eastern European, maybe? he even sounded a little bit English.

obviously, (y/n) turned beet red at that comment; it wasn't easy to hide. she could feel the heat creeping up her face, but she tried to smile it off. boris noticed. of course he did.

"uh...the bus is taking way too long.", she said randomly, after smiling and blushing for a few wasted seconds. (y/n) was not experienced in flirting at all. not in the least.

"yeah it is. let's leave"

"leave?", she asked, sounding surprised but a little intrigued.

"come with me. let's get out of here."