Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 14: Tradimento E Innocenza

"A party?" Pete raised his eyebrows at my sudden invitation. Coming to school, I went looking for the Fortunello but only met Pete.

I smiled as I nodded with my best excited face. If this is the only way to save them, then I'll lie with flying colors.

"Yes, at my house."

"Your birthday's done right?"

"How did you know?"

"I already told you, I know a lot of things. Anyway, why?"

"Because..." you'll be safe there, "...I just want to. It's my first time... you know, to have friends to come over."

I squirmed under his scrutiny but I too, had built my best wall, and yet, I lost the staring contest. "My, my... what an honor. I'll call them. Let's hope they're already up, classes are about to start."
But before he could dial, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata rang the hallway.

"I'm a deep guy," he explained at my furrowed brows, and answered the call. Just a few seconds listening to the other line, his hand clenched the phone. "Well." The smile was now back after the call. Deep down it was fake, at least it was for certain this time. He gripped his phone tightly that his knuckles were white. "I'll tell them about your invitation, precious."

"Wait... where are you going? Aren't you going to wait for them?"

"They won't come for today." He waved goodbye and turned at a corner. I chased him but it was too late. He was running fast that he didn't even look back when I called. Odd. The Pete Charleswin I knew never lost his cool.

But the nagging suspicion crept up behind me. "Please, no."

"Don't hurt them, Signor Gustavo swore to me. Leave after you get the package."

"Of course," Miguel nodded. "My boss is a man of his word. Now, tell me, where is it?"

"It's..." It took me a while to say the words, asked for forgiveness a million times in my head. I'm doing the right thing, I convinced myself.

"Second thoughts? I am a busy man, Miss Mamori." He lifted my chin, and his tone a trace of impatience. "Just think of this, you are being a hero. You tell us where the package is, we spare your little boys." His fingers spread, enveloping half of my face with a threat of crushing it. "Where is it?"

On the verge of tears and the urge to run, I answered. "Back at Orleonne mansion, there's a room of vaults covered with paintings. Zak stays there most of the time, probably guarding something. Maybe one of the vaults has the package."

He searched my face for lies.

"Do it this Saturday," I suggested. "I'll make your job easier and invite them out."

He let go. "Ah, you do have a brain. My kind of woman." I looked away to avoid the closeness. "It was nice working with you, Ms. Mamori." And then he was gone.

I couldn't be. They're supposed to attack tomorrow night while the Fortunello was out. That was the deal. I rushed towards the gate, the same moment the school hymn rang for the morning ceremony.

"Hanna? Long time no see."

I sped past Gian without a reply.

"Classes will start. Hanna? Hanna!"

With my bike left behind, I hailed a taxi towards the Upper District, fervently praying to whoever that my hunch was wrong.

Men in uniform littered the Orleonne entrance. The main electronic gate that was used to be unmanned, had men posted.

"Sorry Miss, off-limits."

"What happened? Please... please tell me!"

"You can't, Miss."

"Let her in. She's with us." Lilo's voice said over the walkie-talkie.

'She's with us.'  Her words stabbed like knives.

Normally, there would be two to three men who roamed around as guards, but now, the numbers were an overwhelming sea of black. There was no more trace of the quiet place I used to visit every weekend.

After a maze of corners and flight of stairs, I found them in the vault room. Furniture down and paintings were thrown everywhere. Except one, every single vault was opened, exposing the contents; stacks of cash, guns and pile of documents, some littered the floor. The room was turned upside down on purpose, to mock the owner of the house. Tension wrapped everyone in it.

This is hell.

Zak laxly sat at the last remaining sofa with Lilo beside him. Yet his eyes brewed a storm. The others scattered, some sat anywhere they can, some leaned on the wall, all eyes at the kneeling Pete in the center of the room.

"Whether I confess or not, I'd still kick the bucket, won't I?" Yet he was grinning at Bino who clutched his collar tainted with red.

Still unable to comprehend the development, I took a step back and hid, fast enough for them not to notice me. "You're the only who wasn't here. You're the only one who could be interested in the package, Einstein. You sold us, didn't you?"

Pete laughed.

"Answer me, damn it!" Another punch landed on his face; he fell to the floor.

"Please Mister Charleswin, confess now and your death will be easy."

"Amazing." He coughed blood and stood. "One of my predictions are correct, I would die in the hands of a cleaner, though I always thought it would be a woman. Hopefully my type. Red hair, nice body, great face... dying in a girl's arm is a dream come true, yeah? Man, but you're okay too. Are you gonna shoot me? But you're against violence."

This time, Inno's face wasn't gentle anymore. "Ah, for a traitor, I'll shoot you more than a hundred times if needed." The gun kissed Pete's temple. "I'll shoot your head until the brain comes out. Then your filthy mouth so you won't be able to lie anymore. I'll crush all your bones slowly, one by one. Then I'll feed you to the dogs."

I caught my breath when I saw nothingness in Alfon's eyes, no hate nor doubt. Just nothing. This is the true form of Alfonse 'Gentle' Herod, the Fortunello Cleaner void of any emotion.

"Mister Zachary, please let me kill him."

Despite their hesitation, nobody opposed. After all, betrayal is unforgivable.

"To whom did you sell the information? Is it to the South? The North? Why did you betray us, damn it!" Bino roared.

"I didn't do it!" Pete roared back, more sinister with the blood coming from his nose and lips. "So what if I wasn't here? I always go to school early. Why would I sell information that I'm not sure? I don't even know what the package is nor where is it! Only Zak knows!"

"Then if it is not you, who?"

"Enough," Zak finally intervened. "If he says he didn't do it, then it's true."

"But—"

"—Don't underestimate him. He does things when he is certain. A deal with the Orient will make us stronger, he wouldn't ruin the opportunity. Am I right, Einstein?"

"Damn right you are," And he combed the disheveled hair with his fingers. The mischievous grin returned. "So, I think I'm not kicking the bucket yet."

Lilo clucked her tongue at the missed opportunity. "If it isn't him, then why did you let it come to this?"

"It's time that you learn a lesson. Most of you doubt him ever since." He paused, stared straight to Pete. "And to keep him in check. He's been getting ahead these days."

Pete laughed dryly, full of sarcasm then clapped slowly. "As expected for a future don. Are you teaching us the value of trust? You who doesn't trust anyone even yourself? Until now, you surprise me."

"That's the punishment for aiming the gun at me during your test years ago."

"How cruel. That hurt tho." Yet he didn't look offended, he just grinned wider. "One day, I'll pay you back." Alfon removed his aim and helped him up. Just like that, Pete was back to the group with no question.

Zak walked to the closet vault. He picked up a painting of a landscape that had covered it. "But I'm not saying it's not one of you. Good thing, they didn't find the package." He then signaled to Lilo, "Do it..."

Before doing anything, she rolled her eyes and grudgingly obeyed. "Ugh! I hate you..." She then took the gun from Alfon and pointed it at him. "Teacher...did you do it?"

"Zak... what's this?" Greco stood up confused. Pink held him back.

Lilo explained. "Just a little drill. One of you did it and they wouldn't know where to possibly look."

The others glanced at each other in question.

What have I done? I betrayed them. Gustavo Capone betrayed me.

Isn't it ironic? There's Judas to Jesus, Delilah to Samson and then there's me. Weak and masking my fears in 'protecting my friends'. I was too afraid to deal with Signor Gustavo so I gave in.

"Then... then who?" Inno and Q looked at each other.

Kut took out his cutter. "Who the fuck is it?!"

I created this chaos; I should be the one to fix it.

"M-Me." I took a step forward and finally entered the room.

"Oh, it took you so long." Lilo waved. "Thought you were lost. Sorry for the mess, we're in a pinch. Could you wait for me? We can play aft—"

"—What did you say?" Zak pierced his gaze on me.

"I said it was me. I did it."

***

Betrayal and Innocence

icon lock

Show your support for E. Manawari, and continue reading this story

by E. Manawari
@E_Manawari
After witnessing the death of her mother, Hanna Mamori has lived as q...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 56 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @E_Manawari.