Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter 7: Con Un Uomo Solo

"Yo," Bino greeted just outside of the Girl's Washroom.

I ignored him, with my head hung low in the hallway. With his big built, following me like a shadow, he looked like my bodyguard. It's not a mystery why my schoolmates give way and stare after us. It has been like this since what happened in the Red-Light District. The Fortunello took turns watching over me, their eyes follow me everywhere like I was a newly discovered specie. I had already given up on telling them to back off. They wouldn't listen anyway.

Yes, I was thankful for the rescue but the extension of their heroic generosity was baffling. Despite the confusion on their sudden interest and the inconvenience for my lack of privacy, I didn't bother anymore. I avoided confrontation with Zak. But one way or another, I could not last longer. Each of them had this presence that demanded attention.

Alfon was usually quiet. Pete was sarcastic. Jah, the one with the dreadlocks had nothing to say but his continuous yawn. Then there's Inno, who couldn't even look at me in the eye. Next were the bantering Gringo Brothers who called themselves 'Pink' and 'Greco'. There were still others whom I heard were called Kut and Q but they didn't come close. They just follow me around without a word, and the discomfort to be stalked by quiet people crawled to my nape more than anything. The most annoying of all was Bino, who was too flashy and threatening. "Orders," he told me the first time.

"Move it!" The people in line at the cafeteria parted, I did the same. But instead, he slightly pushed me forward until I was in front of the line. "Take your time, Mutie." He even winked.
I just grabbed three sealed sandwiches and a bottled tea then paid at the cashier who was also too terrified to tap my card the first time. Sooner or later, I'd probably be at called at the guidance office for the privileges I didn't want.

I fled the cafeteria before I could verbalize my apologies to everyone. Of course, rushing without looking ahead surely lead to accidents. I bumped into someone and fell backwards, but Bino was quick enough to catch me and helped me straight up.

"Watch it!" he warned at the guy I clashed with. I should watch it. It was my fault.

But the guy just scratched the back of his head and sincerely apologized just after he checked the camera on his neck. "Sorry." He leaned forward to check me next. "Are you okay?"

Bino shoved him off. "The hell you're doing? She's off-limits." Then he pulled me away.

That's it! Enough! I wanted to scream at him, but he's not at fault... somehow. I pulled the notebook from my pocket and wrote with so much force the pen could tear off the sheet. I'll save my voice for the argument later.

Where's Zak?

"Library."

I slapped one sandwich on his chest then ran towards the library's direction. He didn't follow but shouted after me. "Talk like a normal person! And thanks!"

It's unusual for a Fortunello leader to visit the library, especially for a group of people called a 'gang'. But what do I know? It's wrong to judge others. Zak was not in the study tables and conference rooms. I tried my luck in the bookshelves. And there he was, his back rested on the bookshelf of classic literature, sleeping. Of all places. Why did I even think that he's there to study?

The longer I stared at his face, the lesser I wanted to confront him. The Zak I knew was fiery cold. But this time, he was neither hateful nor burdened by the invisible weight on his shoulders. He was peaceful. So human. After a deep sigh, I decided to withdraw for now. I should leave before I think of such nonsense. Fortunello is to be feared of, especially Zak. Watching him sleep won't change that.

"I know you'd be here."

I jumped out of trance with Vivienne's voice from behind. She walked past me and kneeled beside him. She kissed him on the cheek and sweetly woke him up. "Stop pretending. I know you can't sleep during the day."

I was stuck there watching an intimate scene. "Leave," Zak commanded with eyes still closed.

I took a step back and obeyed. "I-I didn't mean to. Uh... Okay. I'm sorr-"

"Not you." Then he opened his eyes and stared right at Vivienne. "Leave."

There was a long pause. Pain flashed in her eyes as she glanced at me. "So, the rumors were true then. The Colombos made a mistake and abducted her, it should have been me. They knew we're...close. She's clean. Nobody wants to hurt a good girl like her."

The jealousy was concealed by her sultry voice. Zak kept staring at her with uninterested eyes until she gave up. "Well...if that's what you want. Until you're done, come back and protect me." Then she stood and confidently walked away.

Then I was back to square one. Just me, Zak and the awkward silence. The demon was awake all along and now he's staring at me. "What do you want?"

I shook my head and took a step back, not out of fear, but shame. What for? Because I stared at him?

"Come back, Hanna."

No.

"Come here...before I drag you."

Though his eyes were closed again, he's not the one to joke. I sat a meter from him.

"Why are you here?"

I wrote on a tore a sheet and placed it between us. Tell your friends to stop following me.

He picked it up and crumpled. "I can't be friends with pawns."

Pawns. Is that what he thinks of the Fortunello? They follow him and I concluded to even until death, but it does not evolve on friendship.

Royalty doesn't have to come to greet the slaves.

Now I get what Bino meant. It is not just a group of boys but a gathering of the elite to serve him. For what reason, I wanted to know. What's for certain was that Zak is heartless, and he wanted it that way. Then leave me alon- I stopped. Me, too. Does pushing people away makes me heartless, too? And like me, does he feel lonely, too? He is. I know he is. That's what I feel for years up to now.

I scratched the words and placed one of the packed sandwiches between us. I began eating mine, he just glanced at me then to my offering. Awkward, but I smiled at him, my first one in a long time. I was not with Zak, the leader of Fortunello. I was with a lonely man. "I... I have no friends, too."

He closed his eyes without a reply. There was a comfortable silence until I was done with my lunch. I leaned at the bookshelf, towards his direction. It fascinated me how someone awake can close their eyes without fearing of not opening them again.

Why are you closing your eyes? I thought to myself. Just looking at his peaceful face made me somewhat at ease, too. Fortunellos are humans, he's no exception. Funny, I contradicted myself. Before sleep took over, I wrote once more.

Aren't you afraid of the dark?

But I was brave for that moment that I did close my eyes and woke with a strained neck, sleeping for more than two hours. Zak and the note were gone, my sandwich was the only one left. I quickly fixed myself. Thankfully it's Friday, only two classes in the afternoon. Regrettably, I skipped on them.

There were other students now yet it was a mystery nobody woke me up. The answer was lounging by the entrance to the aisle where I was. 

"Finally." Bino stretched his arms and yawned. "Zak asked if you're free tomorrow."

"No." I left the library in hurried steps.

He walked after me. "Wear something pretty tomorrow! Wherever you go, we'll find you, you know!"

***

If what Bino said was true, I should make it hard for them. Instead of the park, I should've stayed at my favorite book cafe. And yet, I was back at the park in my Satruday mid-morning. Well, why would I put any effort into hiding, as if I am expecting to be found?

I caught a movement at the corner of my eye and a familiar face, smiling and dimples imprinted on his cheeks, greeted me as he put his camera down. "Hey, it's you! May I?"

I nodded and moved farther to give space on the bench for him.

"Gian." He pointed to himself. "I'm Gian. We bumped each other yesterday. Cafeteria. Your friend scolded me for it."

I do remember. And two things are for sure; Bino is not my friend and it was more than a scolding.

Sorry. Bino pushed you.

His eyes darted to me, then to my paper, until finally, he understood. "It's okay. By the way, are you new at school?"

I shook my head.

"I haven't seen you often."

Maybe because Beaumondville High has a fairly huge population. Then there's my effort to achieve lack of presence. I was jokingly called 'Speechless', now 'Mutie'. People ignored me until recently.

You too.

"I don't go out from the classroom unless the school paper asks me to do something." He raised his camera. "Photojournalist. By the way, I didn't catch your name."

Hanna Mamori, a sophomore.

"I thought you're a senior, sorry."

I started school later than the others.

Having a connection with Fortunello, I can now appreciate normal conversations with normal people. This kind of talk is not that bad as I thought.

However, our chat was interrupted when Alfon and Pete found me. Gian had to politely excuse himself.

"New friend?" Pete asked watching him wave goodbye from a distance. I shook my head. Then Alfon reminded me to avoid talking to strangers.

Oh, the irony.

"Yeah, don't. Like Gentle here, we've been together for years, but he still doesn't trust me."

"We all know you only side to those you think will win, Mr. Peter Charleswin."

"Formal, as usual. But it's true, I take the side of the strong. I know who'll win and my predictions are always accurate. That's me being honest."

"That's why until now Mr. Orleonne still doesn't trust you."

"My friend, he doesn't trust anyone, not even you," he retorted. "Another thing, a little distrust is healthy, right? Keep your suspicions on me, it might come true someday."

The tension between the two rose. Pete smiled and Alfon didn't. The former was known as sarcasm's friend. No one saw him lose his cool. While the latter was also usually calm and polite. They're both laid back yet somewhat different. It's fascinating to see them bicker and with that, I smiled. Something is wrong with me.

With the same amicable expression, he looked down on me. "I'm glad we entertain you." I pulled my smile down.

"It's time to go, Miss Mamori."

Pete already rode my bike with my book before I could say anything, then pedaled ahead of us. He already fixed it in place at the top of the vehicle when I reached the parking lot. Alfon opened the door for me then he settled on the driver's seat. There was silence on the ride to the Upper District.

At the Orleonne Mansion, they led me back to the pink library.

"Zak will come later," Pete informed. "He's just busy with something." He then closed the door. In solitude, I have decided to tell him to finally leave me alone.

I pulled out a book to pass time, but I was still on the fifth page when a sleep succeeded. It's not a good habit to sleep anywhere and anytime, but still, I did.

I woke from the sound of giggles. When I opened my eyes and vision was clear, a girl, who looked a few years younger, sat in the pink couch in front of me, carefully peeling an apple. With silky hair and an innocent face, she fit in with the room, like a life-sized doll.

Usually, people just eat apples clean, sliced, but not peeled. But the peel pooled on the handkerchief on her lap, protected her white dress from stains. With the gentle and swift movements of her hands, she finished.

She looked straight at me and in a small voice asked, "Hello. Do you like apples?"

***

With a Lonely Man