Confessions

Author's Note: Okay, I'm going to let you guys know you need to brace yourselves for this chapter.  You're about be shook. I'm just going to warn you that much. I really really need your opinions on this chapter. Because feed back will probably be reflected in the next chapter.  :) Also I hope you guys enjoy! <3 :D
*****************************************************************************

Four

The bed with its almost violent sharp spiked posts and soft slick satin sheets told me exactly where I was. Aleksi's room was more familiar than my own even after our time forced apart. Regaining consciousness there in that bed after what happened was far more comforting than if I had woken up anywhere else. Beside me, Niki stretched out shirtless, sleeping with one arm over me protectively as Aleksi sat at the foot of the bed with his back to me as he watched me in the mirror.

"He wasn't sure you'd wake up," Aleksi spoke as though it were the most obvious of things. "Love makes people do silly things, and after all the nonsense he spouted if I ever had my doubts before I can say with certainty now Kolenka loves you painfully deep." He laid back and rested his cheek against my calf through the thick blanket.

"What was that back there?" I almost didn't ask it, months ago I don't think I would have but I didn't have the luxury of not knowing what was going on around me anymore—the car accident saw to that.

"I killed you." Those lovely lids of his dropped closed and his tone never waivered in the slightest. My brain tried to make sense of all he said as Miss Manners gaped at him mute.

Lost, confused and utterly without understanding I tried to put the pieces together but came up with nothing. "You..."

"I forced your consciousness from your body with my will, your heart stopped beating and your body grew cool enough for us to make it passed the check point."

"But... I'm..." Pain started in the back of my head as panic made my breathing erratic and my heart frantic. "Am I a..."

"No, you're not a vampire. I held you from true death."

"So it was something you did before?"

"You don't really want the answer, Autumn." He opened his eyes and looked up at me. "I'd rather have you die by my hand than theirs, and make no mistake every last one of those servants they've taken is dead or they wish they were."

He only did what he thought was best. Shut up, Miss Manners I don't need your commentary. "I..." I wiggled out from under Niki and started to stand only to have Aleksi block me and pin me back against the mattress quicker than I could think.

"You're about to do something very stupid and you're not a stupid person. Think. Really think about the situation you found yourself in tonight. Before you react and lash out use your brain and assess what was about to unfold when I got there."

I struggled under him but he held me like a vise, there was no freeing myself from him.

"The three of you were cornered, and it is only by luck one of those bullets they shot at Kolenka didn't end you. Whether you like it or not, Autumn. You. Are. Mortal. And mortal means exceptionally, tragically fragile." Leaning forward he pressed his forehead to mine.

"You killed me," the words were less than a whisper and in truth that was how I felt as he held me there. I was less than a figment, something frail, faint and friable.

"All I did was hold your life in my hands like I do every time I feed from you or fuck you. Don't play this game. It's beneath you. If you're looking for a reason to loathe me, look elsewhere. Every time I'm near you I do the same thing I did in that practice room. The only difference is this time was far more obvious to you."