Teardrops on my....pillow

I looked down at my schedule as I tried to find the G wing, where my geometry class was. People jostled me in the hallway and I tried to keep a tight hold on the biology text book I had just received. One more period and it would be lunch. I couldn't wait. 

 The next time I looked up from my schedule, I saw Jesse only a few feet away. I was about to wave and call out his name, when I noticed who he was with. It was a girl, who was definitely older than me, and was, to put it simply, beautiful. She had long chocolaty brown hair, warm brown eyes, and freckles that lined the bridge of her nose.

 Although I was really close to him, he didn't even see me. He was looking into her eyes with an expression I rarely saw on his face. It was almost like the way he looked at me...almost. There was something missing, but it was clear he liked her. 

 I hurried past and at the last moment, Jesse saw me. 

 "Hey, Abz!"

 I continued walking, pretending I didn't hear him. My face was red. Who was she? Why did I care? He was just my best friend, since forever, the boy I'd had a crush on my whole life, the only person I could tell everything too. He was only all of that and so much more. Why should I care?

 "Abz!" I heard him call again. "Abigail!"

 Suddenly the first bell rang and everyone started to clear out of the hallways. I saw G in the distance and started jogging, but Jesse had to stay where he was. "She must not have heard me." I could hear through the chatter and bustle of high schoolers. "I'll introduce you later."

 All through Geometry, I took notes, answered questions, and did my work like a robot. I wasn't focused on math. I was focused on Jesse and that new girl. I had never seen her before. I had never heard about her before. Since when did Jesse keep secrets from me?

 When lunch came around, I made sure I "got lost" and couldn't find our meeting place. I ate lunch by myself in front of my next class. I'd see him after school and talk to him then. At least, that was my plan. Little did I know, he had plans of his own. 

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 "Hey Mom." I said, jumping into the passenger seat. "Thanks for coming and picking me up."

 "No problem." Mom said and started to pull out of the high school parking lot. "But I thought Jesse was going to pick you up."

 "So did I." I said, looking out the window. "But apparently he forgot and made...other plans."

 "I see." Mom said. "Do you want to talk about it?"

 "No, I'm fine."

 "Only if you're sure..."

 "Don't worry about me, Mom. By the way, school was great."

 "Oh, tell me all about it!"

 So my mom and I talked about my first day of high school all the way home, but my mind was elsewhere. I had texted Jesse after school, asking where I should meet him. The reply I got was "oh sorry I totally forgot. I'm giving Julie a ride home. Can your mom come?"

 I almost cried. 

 Soon, we pulled into the driveway. I lugged my heavy backpack out of the front seat and through the front door. Our house looked empty without Jesse's car in the driveway. 

 "I'm going to my room, Mom." I said. 

 "Okay, sweetie."

 I calmly walked into my room, but once I sat on my bed, I collapsed into tears. I couldn't help but think, was my best friend really my best friend? He hadn't told me anything about this Julie person. It was the first time he had ever kept a secret from me.