Chapter 34 - He Still Wants You

“I miss the rain,” Brad sighed, looking out the window in my hotel room at the bright blue skies, not a cloud in sight. “It’s been perfectly sunny everywhere we’ve went this entire tour.”

“It rains in America sometimes,” I said.

“Not enough,” He mumbled, coming over to the bed and lying down.

“So,” I said, changing the subject. “It’s your day off and we’re not stuck in a bus, and we’re in New York. What do you want to do?”

“I want to lie in bed all day,” He replied.

I sighed, “Really?”

He nodded.

“It’s New York!” I exclaimed. “I’m sure the others are doing something.”

“All I want to do is spend the day cuddling with you,” he said, pulling me down next to him.

“I wanna do something,” I pouted.

“I have a few things in mind,” He smirked.

I rolled my eyes, “I meant out in the city.”

“Hey, if that’s your kink, I’ll do it.” He joked.

“Gross,” I laughed, playfully slapping him. “You should probably go anyway, before somebody gets suspicious.”

He groaned. “Why can’t we be treated like adults?”

“They’re just looking out for us,” I shrugged. “Once we get back to the UK, things will be different.”

“How do you know?” He asked.

“Well,” I said. “I’m gonna get things taken care of so we don’t have to worry about me getting pregnant anymore. I think that’s Joe’s biggest concern.”

“What do you mean you’re going to take care of things?” He replied.

I sighed, “I’m getting back on the pill.”

“Back?” he questioned. “You already were?”

“Before I moved to England,” I nodded. “I got so busy trying to get settled, I never took the time to find a clinic. So, I quit taking them when I ran out.”

“Why didn’t you ever tell me?” he said.

I shrugged, “It didn’t really matter.”

“True,” he sighed. “How long have you been thinking about getting back on it?”

“My mom brought it up when I went to visit her, actually.” I answered. “Which was the same day I had to take the morning after pill. I need to get back on birth control.”

He nodded.

“Anyway,” I sighed. “Until then, you’re just gonna have to settle for this.”

“I know,” He replied, getting up. “I’ll go see what the guys are doing.”

“Okay,” I said. “Just text me when you find out, or y’all can come over here.”

He nodded, leaning down to kiss me before he went out the door.

Later on, after I had showered and gotten ready for the day, even though I wasn’t sure if we were doing anything, there was a knock at the door. When I opened it, I found a sad looking James leaning against the wall.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“Not really,” he sighed. “I’ve talked to the guys about it, but I wanted to get your point of view too.”

I ushered for him to come inside. “What are you talking about?”

We sat together on the bed as he began to dish out his issue to me.

“Recently, I’ve been getting a lot of rude messages and mentions on Twitter.” He said. “All of the sudden, it’s become worse than it has before. People are telling me that I should leave the band, that I’m worthless… Just really rude stuff. It’s really bothering me, Charlotte.”

“I had no idea you were going through that,” I gasped. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“I didn’t want to bother you with it.” He replied.

“James,” I retorted. “You can tell me anything and I won’t be bothered. I don’t want you to feel like that anymore.”

“It’s just that it’s been my problem,” he sighed. “And I feel ridiculous dragging all of you into it.”

“No,” I shook my head. “We care about you. Personally, I really appreciate you coming to me. I may not know exactly what you’re going through, but I know how powerful words can be, especially hateful ones.”

“I just don’t know what to do.” He said.

“Have you thought about just blocking the people who are saying it?” I asked.

He nodded, “But I’m afraid if I block people, others are going to give me hate about that too. These people are actively looking for an excuse to be rude.”

“Well,” I sighed. “If it’s bothering you that much, there’s not much else you can do.”

“But how do I let everyone know that without hurting their feelings?” He said. “It’s so hard for them to understand things sometimes. They take what I say really personal.”

I shrugged, “If you just tweet it, it’s really unemotional and no one is going to understand why you’re doing it. You need your fans to see that it’s bothering you.”

“How do I do that?” He asked.

“You could do a twitcam,” I suggested. “I realize not everyone is going to tune it, but it’s the only way you can.”

He nodded slowly. “Thank you.”

“Hey,” I said, giving him a small smile and putting my hand on his shoulder. “If you ever need someone to talk to about anything, you can always come to me. You deserve a lot better than what you’re getting right now. Don’t forget that.”

He smiled and gave me a hug. “Thanks for being such an awesome friend.”

“It’s what I do,” I shrugged, smiling.

He got up and began walking away before he stopped at the door and turned around. “By the way, we all know you and Brad are sneaking around.”

My eyes widened, “How the hell do you know that?”

He chuckled. “Neither of you lie very well.”

“Well are we in trouble?” I asked.

He shook his head no. “Brad told us that you were getting on birth control when we confronted him about it. He also said you two haven’t done anything recently.”

“Oh,” I sighed.

“I don’t think it’s right for us to hold you two back anymore.” He said. “I can tell that he really likes you and you really like him. So you should go for it.”

“Really?” I replied. “Do you really think it’s a good idea?”

He nodded. “I haven’t seen him this happy in a long time. Despite all the fights this past month, he still wants to be with you.”

“I’ll think about it.” I said.

“That’s all you ever say,” he rolled his eyes, leaving the room.