experiences: recoveryandtea

Hello Internet people, how goes it? Sorry it's been a while; life does crazy things at inconvenient times, I've found :p Here's a beautiful experience thing written by the wonderful @recoveryandtea, who also has a lot of awesome works on mental health and the like. Go check her out, show her some love and appreciation, and massive thanks to her!!

"I started getting anxiety attacks when I was in about 4th grade. I wasn't sure what they are, so I'd get really scared and have to go home several times the first few months of school.

It didn't really start showing up again until 6th grade, when I started getting anxiety/panic attacks in my piano class and at lunch. i would often just eat by myself or roam around the playground area until I found someone I sorta knew.

In high school is when it got really bad. I would have anxiety/panic attacks at least once a week or sometimes once a day. I would be afraid to turn in homework so  stopped doing that. I was afraid of going outside. I would almost throw up getting off of the bus every day at school.

I didn't get any help until my junior year. I wasn't really functioning. I was going to the counselor's office every day. My mood was all over the place and cycling pretty drastically. I was seeing a social worker, who then admitted me into a mental hospital.

The mental hospital didn't really help. They put me on the wrong medication. However, the psychiatrist that I see now has put me on the right ones. I'm bipolar, so I guess medication is a good idea, but it isn't for everyone. though I definitely recommend it for those who can't really function well.

One thing that the social worker taught me was to breathe in for about 7 seconds, hold for 5, and then breathe out for 9. The numbers may vary, but that's basically what it is and it does wonders for lowering heart rate and preventing hyperventilation.

I actually don't do too much to avoid anxiety anymore. I just kind of face it. I just do the thing instead of avoiding it inspite of the anxiety. I guess this won't work for everyone, but it works for me. I got to a point in my recovery where I can do that. It doesn't always work, but still. It has helped."

Hope this helped some of you, let me know if there's anyone you want to hear from or anything of the like :)

-littlebig