Artificial

WORD COUNT: 2407

TIME SUBMITTED: 1:09am PST

SONG: Carmen by Lana Del Ray

~ + ~

The music was too loud. Kaitlyn held back a wince as she sat awkwardly on the couch, her fingers wrapped clumsily around the bottle she held. It was still full, and she was still working up the courage to take that first sip. No one else seemed to have the same problem; they were downing their drinks without trepidation as if they did this all the time. She eyed a group of girls across the room, all of who were heavily flirting with two grinning guys. Judging by their behavior, she wouldn’t be surprised if they did do this all the time.

The couch dipped beside her as her best friend threw herself on the couch, still laughing at whatever joke she’d just heard. “You ever gonna drink that?” Lacee asked, motioning with her own bottle. Kaitlyn shrugged.

“I will…”

“C’mon, take a gulp with me.”

It was now or never. Kaitlyn took a deep breath and raised the bottle to her lips. She barely restrained herself from gagging as it burned into her throat. “That’s nasty,” she spat, giving the drink a disgusted look. Lacee cackled at her discomfort.

“That’s because you’re not used to it. You just need to lighten up and keep at it. It’s an acquired taste anyways.”

If it was an acquired taste, Kaitlyn wasn’t sure it was worth the effort. Still, she listened to her friend’s prodding and attempted another sip. It didn’t burn quite as much, but she still hated the taste. “Thatta girl,” Lacee crowed. “We’ll have you doing your own keg stand in no time!”  She ignored the dubious look Kaitlyn gave her in favor of nodding towards another girl standing by the kitchen counter. “Twenty bucks says Maddie and Brandon end up going home together. She’s totally wasted already, and it’s only nine o’clock!”

“Maybe someone should stop her,” Kaitlyn murmured, but Lacee didn’t seem to hear her as she flicked her blonde hair.

“Don’t see why he’s so interested in her anyways. Everyone knows she’s easy, and she’s not even that pretty,” she pouted.

Kaitlyn eyed her with a small smile. “You’re only saying that because you think he’s hot,” she said teasingly. Her friend didn’t deny the fact, only smirking in response.

“Perhaps. It’s no secret that I’m prettier than she is anyways.” That much was true. Lacee had no trouble getting the guys to follow after her. Goodness knew Kaitlyn could use a bit of her charm. She looked down at the bottle in her hand somewhat forlornly. She liked the way her hair curled, but it wasn’t nearly as golden as Lacee’s was, and it didn’t have as much volume. Her eyes were a plain brown, not sparkling like Lacee’s brilliant blue eyes. Kaitlyn was lucky if she even got a guy to acknowledge her if Lacee was around. Not that she would admit to being jealous. Lacee was her best friend; she couldn’t hold it against her. Wouldn’t hold it against her.

“You have to finish that,” said best friend demanded. “By the end of the night, okay?” She didn’t wait for a response as she stood. “Jesse’s here. I told him I’d dance with him at least once. He’s so sappy sometimes,” she said with a giggle. “I’ll be back afterwards.”

Kaitlyn’s eyes followed her figure as she made her way through the crowded living room to the front door, her gaze stopping not on her friend but on the guy she was meeting.

Jesse Melendez. Lacee’s boyfriend and the guy Kaitlyn had secretly been crushing on for almost seven years. She swallowed thickly and took another sip. Again the alcohol burned, but not like the first time. Actually, this time, her stomach warmed slightly, almost pleasantly. She purposefully kept her gaze averted as Lacee pressed her mouth to Jesse’s, the dark-haired boy eagerly returning the kiss.