Ch. 26: Never Were & Never Will Be

"Kiara Malfoy."

Chapter 26: Never Were & Never Will Be

Kiara didn't say a word on the train ride back to Grimmauld Place. She could feel the concerned looks from everyone who overheard the conversation as she stood by the door, staring at the walls of the Underground. Why were they concerned? She doubted it was for her. It was for their own safety. They wanted to protect themselves.

It wasn't the snake who attacked Mr Weasley. It was Kiara all along. She was Voldemort's snake. Voldemort was using her to attack people. She had elemental powers after all, There was a reason why he placed that ancient spell on her, so that he could use her to destroy the people who threaten him.

Harry mirrored her expression, his face void of any emotion. Fortunately for him, Mrs Weasley noticed his sickened expression and asked him to sleep some more before dinner. But, Kiara knew that he wouldn't dare sleep. She wouldn't either. When Harry hurried straight to the bedroom he shared with Ron, Kiara slipped away from everyone else and followed him.

The only person who seemed to notice her absence, was Fred, who wanted to desperately speak with her. But, George grabbed the back of his shirt and shook his head, suggesting to leave Kiara and Harry to speak privately.

Kiara opened the door slightly. Harry stopped pacing up and down and looked at her. He didn't seem surprised to see her, it looked like he was expecting her. She knew how he was feeling. They were both focussed on dreadful thoughts and ideas. She approached him and hugged him, feeling comforted by the thought that Harry understood exactly what she was going through. Everyone believed they were the ones who caused this. Even Moody suggested that they were possessed by Voldemort.

They held each other there for a moment, scared of the reality they would need to face when they broke apart. "I'm scared Harry," Kiara whispered. "What's wrong with me, wrong with us?"

Harry sighed and sat on his bed, putting his head in his hands. "Could we be Animagi?"

Kiara shook her head. She had already considered the possibility on the train. But, there was no possible way. It was a lengthy process to become an Animagus. For example, she knew that Harry nor herself had managed to begin the process by carrying a single Mandrake leaf in their mouths for an entire month.

"Maybe, it's Voldemort then. If he's possessing us and he transforms, then we would transform too?" Harry suggested, his tone sounding panicked. "What if it happens again? We're not at Hogwarts now. We're at the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. He could be seeing everything through us right now. The members of the Order, where Sirius Black is. Kiara, we need to go somewhere where we can't maim and injure anyone."

Kiara opened her mouth to dismiss his panicked suggestions but she stopped herself. The thought of Fred appeared in her mind. She thought of the possibility of attacking him one night while he was sleeping. What happened if Fred wasn't as lucky as Mr Weasley? What happened if he didn't survive. Kiara's eyes turned white with fear.

Harry took this as agreement. He pulled out his trunk from under his bed, slamming the lid shut. He seized one end and began dragging it out of the room when a snide voice stopped him. "Running away, are we?"

The empty portrait between the two beds now held a man. It was a Headmaster in Dumbledore's Office, Phineas Nigellus. He leant against the frame, looking between Kiara and Harry with a look of amusement on his face.

"Not running away, no," Harry said, continuing to pull his trunk a few feet across the room.

"I thought," Phineas began, stroking his pointed beard. "That to belong to Gryffindor House you were supposed to be brave? It looks to me as though you both would've been better off in my own house. We Slytherins are brave, yes, but not stupid. For instance, given the choice, we will always choose to save our own necks."