A Capitol Broadcast: Tribute Scores Part One; Districts One - Six

Carmen bursts onto the screens with a huge smile. Her hair is curled into plaited coils around her head, a style which took three hours, four combs and a lot of patience. It's worth it, though. She somehow manages to look both stern and friendly at the same time, just perfect for the face of the Games.

"Hellloooooo Panem!" she announces, and even in the studio she can hear the roar outside, from the people watching the broadcast live. Rain hasn't dampened people's spirits.

It's starting to get dark, fairylights twinkling down the streets in all sorts of different colours. The tributes are currently being styled up for interviews, hair pulled, outfits fitted, makeup applied. The tribute building itself is in chaos, mentors hurrying around preparing for every eventuality, media agents digging around for the scoops on the crowd's favourite tributes.

Outside on the streets, screens are up on every corner so that those heading to Capitol Square for the interviews don't miss a moment of preperations. So far all they've been treated to is interviews with coy stylists, proud of their work in the parade. But now it's time for the part literally nobody wants to miss - and nobody in the distant districts will be able to - the tribute scores. 

"Are you ready?" Carmen shrieks into the camera. The fly-by image of the Capitol behind her is green-screened; she's tucked up in a studio in the HG Station. As soon as she's done here, she'll be whizzed away by helicopter to Capitol Square for her role as interviewer.

Twenty blocks away, Jax shouts "Yes!" at the top of his voice. His stylist, who has had enough of this behaviour and the fact that it seems impossible for Jax to sit still, jabs him subtly in the back with a needle. Savannah glares at him; she's trying not to show it but deep down she's nervous. With so many tag-alongs, she knows that she needs a better score than them in order to stay in with the Careers and stay alive. Are her mother and father watching this together?

"Well then, Panem," Carmen starts, and has to pause because of the shrieks, "Let's get this show on the road!"

Every single tribute leans forwards, prompting muffled complaints from the stylists.

Trey Rathbone, District One...9!

Trey's stylists clap and cheer proudly. He bathes in the attention, happy with that score. Okay, it's nothing special among the Careers, but he's going to get sponsors anyway. And he's a demon with weapons. He didn't do much else in his assessment, and perhaps they think he's a bit slow and that's why he didn't get a ten. But hey, does it matter how slow you are when the other tributes will be getting nowhere near you?

Jewel Burgundy, District One...9!

Jewel scowls as her prep team cheep, patting her on the head like a child. It's good, but not good enough if Trey got a 9 as well. Everybody will want to sponsor him instead; he's got the looks. At least, his teeth don't stick out a bit. "It's okay, Jewel," purrs Chardonnay, the stunning mentor, "Don't stand out too much or the others will be after you." Remember the interview plan, that means. She's just annoyed that it's not perfect, the same feeling she gets when she spends forever on a bracelet only to find that one of the jewels is slightly flawed.

Jax Railin, District Two...10!

Jax jumps up from his chair, giving the member of the prep team who is painting his back a heart attack and giving himself a huge streak of blue dye down his back. "Get in!" he shouts, and people laugh. The stylist grits his teeth; Jax is pushing his patience. Jax settles back into his chair after bouncing up and down a few times. That is good. He's fit, good-looking and now he's beaten District One already. Sponsors will be queuing down the block. His family will be ecstatic and letting everybody know that; the district will be proud of him for showing District One who is boss. Him, of course.